My Rum recipie

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

My Rum recipie

Postby Fearandloathing » Wednesday Jun 27, 2007 11:13 am

Hello everyone Im pretty new here so I thought Id share my rum recipie.
this is my recipie for a basic white rum. Its pretty cheap too.
I go to the rural supply store and buy a twenty litre bucket of blackstrap mollasses. It costs bugger all like 8 bucks or something.
I add 6 litres of blackstrap and 2 kilos of cheap homebrand brown sugar to 25 litres hot water. I use boiling water for the first 8-10 litres and dissolve the sugar and mollasses in that then fill the rest up with hot tap water. I wait until the next morning, then I stir in one packet of 48 hour turbo yeast. I then give it about 5-7 days at 25-30 degrees and shes ready for the still. It that easy.I throw out the first 100ml I try to collect the majority at around 80%. Even though I can strip it at 93% if I want. But if ya go much higher than 80% ya start to loose the flavour. I collect around 3 1/2 litres at 80%. I then mix it with distilled or rainwater to make it 8 litres then run it through the still again. throw out the first 50ml and only collect 3 litres after that at 80%. Im sure I probably throw out more than I need to but it helps improve the flavour. I then water it down a second time and run it through the still a third time and collect three litres again at 80%.
If I want a gold rum I wash a rough handful of raisins several times in scalding hot water. This removes the veggie oil they put on them then I roughly chop them up and soak them in the white rum along with a handful of toasted oak chips. I let it soak for about 3-4 weeks. I just shake the mix also whenever I think about it . Then I strain the mix through a coffee filter. Then I water it down to around 40%.

Oh yeah funny thing too. Now generally I find something pretty wrong with buying bottled water but a mate said to try watering my spirit with evian and I did. You can certainly taste the difference in my opinion and it makes the spirit smoother.
Also I have drank my rum after one distill but its pretty rough.
It works out at six litres of pretty good rum for about 17 bucks for me.

Cheers

Matt
Fearandloathing

Postby wildschwein » Sunday Sep 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Shit, that molasses is pretty cheap. Might have to hunt down some of that for my own supplies. I usually get it in 500g containers from the supermarket and it costs about $3.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: http://www.myspace.com/canaanperry
wildschwein

Return to Spirits