Flashback Melon

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

Flashback Melon

Postby buscador » Wednesday Jul 11, 2007 9:16 pm

got an email the other day that reminded me of a killer substitute for Jello shots. probably a summer thing but here goes,

take a watermelon put it on its side, cut a circular hole in the top about 2 and a half inches across..
open a nasty bottle of low grade vodka :) and tip it into the hole and let that drain in- you may have to let it seep a few times

once youve emptied the bottle into the melon, cork the melon with the piece you cut out of it and put the melon into the fridge for the night

next day, throw a party, a big one and give everyone a piece of your "homemade melon"

b
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby timmy » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 12:45 am

Buscy,

This was in one of Jamie Oliver's early books (the 2nd one I think). I tried it at a party ages ago and it didn't really work out. You lose loads when you cut the melon and you make a mess when you eat it. I reckon you end up losing about 1/2 the vodka. You'd get a better result if you soaked smaller fruit in booze (strawberries, apple segments etc). These do work well - one of my mates was out cold after eating the fruit at the bottom of my old man's fruit punch at my 21st...

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby rwh » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 10:45 am

The other way to do it is just cut the melon in half and then hand out spoons. :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby buscador » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 2:44 pm

my bartender in san fran used to make his sangria from scratch and he always told me, "Son, eat the fruit at the bottom of the glass, that's where the hallucinations hide."

what a great influence!? :lol:

b
buscador

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Jul 12, 2007 7:25 pm

I tried it and the inside of the watermelon turned to mush.
Tipsy

Postby buscador » Friday Jul 13, 2007 12:24 pm

oh well, maybe it'd make great toxin for the non-beer drinkers at a shindig :wink: :wink:

b
buscador

Return to Spirits