Whats Your staple brew?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Whats Your staple brew?

Postby Pommie » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 9:48 am

I've got a 2 tap set-up and for ages I've been trying different brews without actually settling on a "house" beer. I now want to try liquid yeasts so that sort of forces me to stick with one beer for a while if I want to get six brews from the one yeast pack.

My idea now is to have one "House" beer and one "Guest" beer on tap. The shortlist for the "House" is Boonies LCPA or Danzar's Hoegaarden - cheers Guys for the recipes :D - the"Guest I will change each new barrel.

Nice to have variety in life!!

Just curious what everyone else has on tap :?:
Pommie

Re: Whats Your staple brew?

Postby Chris » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 10:09 am

Pommie, you can brew lots of different beers with the same yeast! You don't have to stick with just one.

But seriously, what can beat a good IPA with willamette or fuggles?
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 11:09 am

Pommie wrote:I've got a 2 tap set-up and for ages I've been trying different brews without actually settling on a "house" beer. I now want to try liquid yeasts so that sort of forces me to stick with one beer for a while if I want to get six brews from the one yeast pack.

My idea now is to have one "House" beer and one "Guest" beer on tap. The shortlist for the "House" is Boonies LCPA or Danzar's Hoegaarden - cheers Guys for the recipes :D - the"Guest I will change each new barrel.

Nice to have variety in life!!

Just curious what everyone else has on tap :?:

I have on tap at the Moment....Lethals Strong Belgian (Recommend) and a Fresh Wort Kit of Amarillo Ale by ND Brewing. The third Keg, not connected today as I only have 2 taps :wink: , is the LCPA. It sits in the bottom of the fridge and when I want one I just change the tap over to it.....and yes, I do drink the mixed beer from the lines with the LCPA, Lethals Belgian mixed with the LCPA is an interesting blend. :lol:

The Amarillo Ale is very popular amongst my Guests. I know it is not a "From Scratch" recipe or from a kit, but it is a nice beer IMO.

I have to admit that the most common beer I have had on tap has been the LCPA and the Amarillo Ale......probably cause I am a big fan of JSGA and LCPA

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby rwh » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 11:19 am

Haha I was going to recommend an English pale ale hopped with Goldings, but then I realised that I harp on about that hop as much as most people harp about Amarillo. :oops:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 11:21 am

Chris wrote:Kev, that's a yeast that I knew nothing about. Sounds like quite an interesting one though! I trust Charlie's judgement on beer matters (except for the gladwrap thing :) ).

Is it low diacetyl in lagers as well as ales?

Whats wrong with gladwrap?!?!

Yes low diacetyl in Lagers as well...

rwh wrote:Haha I was going to recommend an English pale ale hopped with Goldings, but then I realised that I harp on about that hop as much as most people harp about Amarillo. :oops:

I am with you rwh, I would take Goldings over Amarillo any day of the week... but then I would take NS over the lot ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 12:07 pm

My house beer is a golden ale

2.40 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 56.60 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.87 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 18.87 %
0.24 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 5.66 % or Caramunich I
20.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU or Amarillo
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
US56 altho i have used 1056.

It would be on tap now but i did a keg swap with a mate off AHB. Luckily i have a keg of LCPA to keep my hop cravings in check.
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Tuesday Feb 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Spun off to another thread here some discussion of the Papazian signature yeast strain 'Cry Havoc' which also has some good stuff about mutations.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Return to Kegging