From "Not Happy!!" the Helium thread

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

From "Not Happy!!" the Helium thread

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Feb 22, 2008 11:35 am

Rabbitz wrote:OK just to finish of this thread diversion (sorry):
Now this is back of the envelope stuff....
According to BOC CO2 has an expansion ratio of 847:1 from solid to gas. So lets assume 800:1 for liquid to gas.

An aluminum CO2 cylinder looks to be about a 3 litre vessel.

So 800x3 = 2400 litres
In the thread prices ranged from $30 up to $50 odd so at $50:00 a fill :
50/2400 = ~2 cents a litre

As a comparison
Helium (not balloon gas) retails for about 8 cents a litre
We use around 2400 litres in a fill which is around $190 + 02 + Air + GST.
This lasts about one or two dives.

So all up not too bad.

Rabz

...I have a confession to make. I've never carbonated beer with Helium - but it would be an interesting talking point at the BBQ. :shock: :lol:

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Re: Not Happy!!

Postby Rabbitz » Friday Feb 22, 2008 12:40 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:...I have a confession to make. I've never carbonated beer with Helium - but it would be an interesting talking point at the BBQ. :shock: :lol:

Cheers,
TL

Would it technically still be carbonation as there is no CARBON Dioxide being used? :lol:
"Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems"
H.J. Simpson
Rabbitz

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Feb 22, 2008 12:53 pm

Good point - here Larry, have a pint of stout that I heliumonated yesterday!! :lol:

Helium - (Gr. helios, the sun), He; at.wt. 4.002602(2); at.no. 2; m.p. below -272.2 deg C (26 atm); b.p. -268.93 deg C; density 0.1785 g/l (O deg C, 1 atm); liquid density 7.62 lb/cu ft at. b.p.; valence usually 0. Except for hydrogen, helium is the most abundant element found throughout the universe. Helium is extracted from natural gas; all natural gas contains at least trace quantities of helium. The fusion of hydrogen into helium provides the energy of the hydrogen bomb. The helium content of the atmosphere is about 1 part in 200,000. Helium has the lowest melting point of any element and has found wide use in cryogenic research, as its boiling point is close to absolute zero. Its use in the study of superconductivity is vital. Liquid helium (He4) exists in two forms: He4I and He4II, with a sharp transition point at 2.174 K (3.83 cm Hg). He4I (above this temperature) is a normal liquid, but He4II (below it) is unlike any other known substance. It expands on cooling; its conductivity for heat is enormous; and neither its heat conduction nor viscosity obeys normal rules. It has other peculiar properties. Helium is the only liquid that cannot be solidified by lowering the temperature. It remains liquid down to absolute zero at ordinary pressures, but it can readily be solidified by increasing the pressure. The specific heat of helium gas is unusually high. The density of helium vapor at the normal boiling point is also very high, with the vapor expanding greatly when heated to room temperature. Containers filled with helium gas at 5 to 10 K should be treated as though they contained liquid helium due to the large increase in pressure resulting from warming the gas to room temperature. Helium is widely used as an inert gas shield for arc welding; as a protective gas in growing silicon and germanium crystals, and in titanium and zirconium production; as a cooling medium for nuclear reactors, and as a gas for supersonic wind tunnels. A mixture of helium and oxygen is used as an artificial atmosphere for divers and others working under pressure. Different ratios of He/02 are used for different depths at which the diver is operating. Helium is extensively used for filling balloons as it is a much safer gas than hydrogen. One of the recent largest uses for helium has been for pressuring liquid fuel rockets. A Saturn booster such as used on the Apollo lunar missions required about 13 million cu ft of helium for a firing, plus more for checkouts.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Helium is one of, if not them least soluble gases there is.
drsmurto

Postby gregb » Friday Feb 22, 2008 1:11 pm

So it wont put bubbles in your beer?

BTW - The helium stuff started in the "Not Happy!!" thread was at first relevant; comparative cost of gasses, but has drifted far enough to get its own thread. If you want to talk cost of gas, go to Not Happy thread.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Re: From "Not Happy!!" the Helium thread

Postby drsmurto » Friday Feb 22, 2008 1:36 pm

The papers i have read on the solubility's of gases suggest that relatively speaking, CO2 is more than 85 times as soluble in water than He. Granted, we aren't talking about water but the change is likely to be minimal.

So no, i doubt you could detect any bubbles in beer you put under a lager He pressure.

O2 is ~25 times less soluble and for those interested in why N2 is sued in combo with CO2 for irish beers, N2 is ~ 50 times less soluble. This means that using an N2/CO2 combo gives a lower carb whilst still being able to pour at the same speed compared to using the same pressure as a CO2 only source.
drsmurto

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Saturday Feb 23, 2008 9:28 pm

Helium is not a very social gas. Never achieves much. Basically inert.

Argon is the lazy chemical.

I never said I was proud of it... :oops:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby KEG » Sunday Feb 24, 2008 7:31 am

it'd be funny though if you could dissolve helium in beer... you might end up with squeaky burps :lol:
KEG

Postby Rabbitz » Thursday Feb 28, 2008 10:34 am

So last night on the box was a Becks ad. It showed "Beck's with Helium" as product they don't make.

I bet they stole our idea!!

Rabz
"Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems"
H.J. Simpson
Rabbitz

Postby James L » Thursday Feb 28, 2008 11:42 am

go nitrous... you'll laugh yourself to drunkedness
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Chris » Monday Mar 03, 2008 12:48 pm

Beats methane.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby gregb » Monday Mar 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Methane is over here.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Return to Kegging