Gas hose onto reg.

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Gas hose onto reg.

Postby Prawned » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 10:12 pm

Just got all of my keg gear together after wanting to do it for about 3 years.. Everything is sweet other than trying to get the gas hose to not leak air when i connect it to the reguator. Have tried with about 5 pieces of hose so far and everytime i seem to have small leaks. Every other fitting was simple as i got JG fittings.. Just the one that is a barb wont work!! What i have been doing is heating up some water, dipping the end of the tube in it for about 10 seconds then sliding it over the regulator barb.. no luck.. Any help would be great as my first batch is almost due to go into a keg! Dont want to have to put it in bottles lol
Prawned

Re: Gas hose onto reg.

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 10:28 pm

Use a hose clamp... they cost about $1 at Bunnings or most any hardware/auto parts store. That should keep it from leaking.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby rwh » Friday Mar 07, 2008 9:36 am

Try stretching the hose with a pair of needle-nose or long-nose pliers. Dip it in the hot water, the push the pliers in, open up the pliers to stretch the hose, then shove it onto the barb. That way you get the hose much further over and will get a better seal. It's best to do it all in one go if you can be quick (i.e. without re-dipping it in the water).

I've done that for all my fittings (pretty much all barb except for the JG check valve), and my system is prefectly sealed.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Mar 07, 2008 10:23 am

I bought gas line as part of a bigger order from Northern Brewer (US) many years ago. A bag of stainless worm drive hose clamps from the local metal shop holds all my beer and gas lines firmly on their respective barbs - and the gas line hasn't leaked yet.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Return to Kegging