Onion Jam

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

Onion Jam

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Apr 13, 2008 2:38 pm

This recipe makes about 4 baby food jars full of Onion Jam. It is my favourite thing to have with a stout or porter (or any beer really) and is quite simple to make. I usually serve it with brei or camembert on a biscuit, but it is great on almost anything!

Ingredients:

1kg Onion Sliced
2 tbs Olive Oil
8 Thyme Sprigs
240g Brown Sugar
2 Cloves Garlic
3 Bay Leaves
1/4 cup Dry Red Wine
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar

Directions:

In a covered saucepan heat the onion, oil and thyme for 10 min over a med/high heat.
Add the brown sugar, garlic, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper, cover and cook a further 10 min.
Add the wine and vinegar then bring to the boil and cook a further 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
Pour immediately into sanitised jars, cover and cool then refrigerate.
The jam will keep for about a month in the fridge, use within a few days of opening.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Re: Onion Jam

Postby Lachy » Saturday May 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Looks very tasty.

Just a question for clarification purposes though - what kind of onions do you use: brown, white, red? I'd love to try this recipe, and my instinct says that brown onions would be fine, however I'd just like to be sure.
Lachy

Postby KEG » Saturday May 03, 2008 2:50 pm

i'm quite tempted to get off my lazy ass and go get a couple things to make this.

on another note, i'm quite partial to making chicken liver pate.. dose it up with heaps of herbs and a good swig of port, sherry or brandy - very tasty.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday May 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I use Brown, though white and red would both probably work if you were so inclined.

I used to do chicken liver pate as well KEG but my wife won't eat it. Sherry and bacon are what I used and it always came out great!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Saturday May 03, 2008 11:24 pm

i did a bit of browsing, and came across a suggestion of baking a whole brie in a moderate (180c/350f) oven for about 10-15 minutes, then putting onion jam on top to serve.. ohhhh that sounds unbelievably tasty.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday May 04, 2008 7:34 am

Yeah, that sounds like an excellent idea KEG. I will have to give that a go!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Monday May 05, 2008 10:32 am

recipes for the chicken liver pate would be nice rather than just teasing us.... :evil:

And an idea what do do with the 2 rabbits in my freezer would also be good, was thinking some sort of stew but will need to remove the lead shot first
drsmurto

Postby KEG » Monday May 05, 2008 10:49 am

i rarely follow a set 'recipe' - it takes something like a sponge cake for me to start measuring everything properly, but here's a pate recipe :P

1kg chicken liver, deveined
2 tablespoons butter
up to 300ml cream
roughly 2 tablespoons of your favourite fresh herbs - i'd suggest thyme, sage or rosemary
salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste (be generous with the pepper)
1/3 cup (at a guess - this is all down to how *you* want it) of port, sherry or brandy. i personally prefer port or sherry - more flavour than brandy in the end.

fry the liver over medium heat in the butter until the very center is just pink - you don't want blood, but you don't want a dry, overcooked, tasteless mess.
put the herbs, salt, pepper and alcohol in about 5 minutes before the end, and turn the heat up to boil it - to evaporate some of the liquid off.

put the entire contents of the pan in a food processor (check with the missus that it can handle hot liquids first :lol:), and add a swig of the cream to help it if it's too dry to process. blend it very well, stopping to scrape out the corners with a spatula if needed. add enough cream to make it just a bit runnier than you want it - when chilled it will thicken a lot with the butter and cream in it. season it with more salt/pepper/herbs to taste at this point if you want. you really can go heavy on the seasonings, remember it's usually eaten as a small amount on a cracker, you want to get the flavour through. i like it with a "dip" consistency rather than a hard jelly consistency - but it's all up to you.

although, i really enjoy it spread across pieces of fresh baked crusty bread, instead of on crackers.

mmmm.
KEG

Postby drsmurto » Monday May 05, 2008 11:11 am

Cheers!

Onion jam and pate recipes printed out.
drsmurto

Postby KEG » Monday May 05, 2008 1:33 pm

let us know how they go :)
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Monday May 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Hey Doc, this was always my fav Rabbit dish as a kid. Not sure if the recipe is the same but it sounds close enough.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/euro ... urry1.html
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Lachy » Friday Mar 13, 2009 9:20 pm

I finally got around to making the onion jam. It's bloody brilliant. :D
Lachy

Postby KEG » Monday Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am

I made the jam over the weekend too, and it is damn tasty!

One thing i noticed though, was that it didn't thicken anywhere near as much as i expected, despite the fair whack of sugar in it. Next time, i'd simmer it for a lot longer to evaporate more liquid off. Also, i'll chop the onion very finely next time, rather than just "small" (most pieces were about 1cm * 1cm)
KEG

Postby Lachy » Thursday Jun 11, 2009 7:32 pm

I've had a few commercial onion jams, and most seem to have strips of onion through them rather than finely diced onion.

Damn tasty, either way. In fact, I reckon I might cook up another batch this weekend myself.
Lachy

Return to In the kitchen and at the table