You know you're a HB'er when...

Using the amber fluid in cooking, and pairing beer with food.

You know you're a HB'er when...

Postby Lachy » Thursday May 15, 2008 6:11 pm

...you're making a couple of pizzas for the family, and as you're about to make the bases you realise that you have no bakers yeast in the cupboard. So you do the obvious thing and go to the brew cupboard and grab a couple of kit yeasts and an expired S-23 and use that instead.

Actually, this isn't first time I've done this. Old kit yeasts seem to have found their way into many pizzas and breads that I've made. Another favourite is left over liquid malt... a couple of teaspoons added to a glass of milk with a blob of vanilla icecream makes a beaut malted milk.

So who else has used left over brewing supplies to culinary ends?
Lachy

Re: You know you're a HB'er when...

Postby KEG » Thursday May 15, 2008 6:13 pm

i've used crystal/choc/carafa grains in bread.. sometimes after i've steeped them for a brew, sometimes fresh. delicious :D
KEG

Postby rwh » Thursday May 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I've used malt in milk, like you have. Also used spent crystal for making dog biscuits (the recipe is on here somewhere). My GF's dogs were bloody addicted to those things lol. Oh, and hops tea for insomnia (need lots of sugar).
w00t!
rwh

Postby KEG » Thursday May 15, 2008 8:27 pm

how much (many?) hops did you use rwh? pellet form? wouldn't mind trying that next time i find myself tired but unable to sleep - happens about once a week, really stuffs me up for work.

i have some fuggles pellets in the freezer that are pretty old, and only in a ziplock bag.. might as well put them to use - they still smell fine.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 15, 2008 8:44 pm

Biscuit recipe here

I tried hop tea once with 3 pellets of D Saaz (maybe 2g?).

I am not sure it helped me sleep, but I did not add any sugar. It was terrible though, I did not finish it ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Prawned » Thursday May 15, 2008 10:10 pm

ummmm i use the sugar i prime with when i bottle to make coffee :P
Prawned

Postby timmy » Friday May 16, 2008 9:50 am

I feed my spent grain to my rabbit - he seems to like it. Spent specialty grains are nice thrown in the breadmaker too and makes a nice very brown bread.

I've been toying with the idea of beery icecream but will post more on that when I try.
timmy

Postby Tipsy » Friday May 16, 2008 10:48 am

Prawned wrote:ummmm i use the sugar i prime with when i bottle to make coffee :P

:shock: I've done this myself, I thought I was the only one :lol:
Tipsy

Postby Boonie » Friday May 16, 2008 12:03 pm

Tipsy wrote:
Prawned wrote:ummmm i use the sugar i prime with when i bottle to make coffee :P

:shock: I've done this myself, I thought I was the only one :lol:

I've used Dextrose in the coffee when I ran out of sugar. Was going to use the LDM on Ice Cream but did not want to crack a new 1kg bag.

"You know you're a Homebrewer when"......you go on Holidays and whilst in Queensland you are looking for HB shops and checking out how much the cans are worth up there.....even in Coles, Big W etc.......My wife just rolled her eyes :roll:

:D

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby earle » Friday May 16, 2008 1:20 pm

I've been toying with the idea of beery icecream but will post more on that when I try.

Mmmm, when I was in Japan I got chocolate with beer jelly inside and beer caramels. Maybe something like a choc porter ice cream would be the go.
earle

Postby gregb » Friday May 16, 2008 3:42 pm

LDM on ice cream is nice.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby warra48 » Friday May 16, 2008 5:10 pm

.........you are at a restaurant for dinner, and not a single beer on their list passes the the test for drinkability. :( :( Hence, straight to the wine list, and thence a Cabernet, a Riesling, or a Semillon (I refuse to drink that stinking battery acid known as Sauvignon Blanc).

Then again, was at dinner last night, and they had Wicked Elf (our local micro-brewery) available. Very very nice. :D :D
warra48

Postby homebrewer79 » Friday May 16, 2008 7:08 pm

You know you're a HB'er when...you criticize almost every beer you try, and try to tell someone that they could make it better if they............
Thats it, you people have stood in my way long enough, I'm going to clown college
homebrewer79

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday May 17, 2008 9:05 am

Have you tried a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc warra? Serve it at about 10C with fresh seafood! Yum! ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Saturday May 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Have you tried a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc warra? Serve it at about 10C with fresh seafood! Yum! ;)

I have, and I stand by what I said, on the whole. I will agree the Marl Sauv Blanc is at least drinkable, and better than what I was referring to.
As to the seafood, how about some fresh Sydney Rock Oysters, then barbecued green prawns and Tassie scallops, green salad, and washed down with either a vibrant young Riesling, or an aged one about 10 years old. Yum! :D :D
Unfortunately, the in-laws are in some of those wine clubs, and they get sent cartons of stuff the winemakers can't sell any other way. That includes a lot of execrably bad Sauvignon Blanc. :( :cry:
warra48

Postby lethaldog » Saturday May 17, 2008 1:10 pm

You know your a homebrewer when you spend lots of time on ( unnamed ) forums talking about how you know when your a homebrewer :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday May 17, 2008 1:15 pm

You know your a homebrewer when you have most posts here than Dogger Dan ;)

BTW... congrats Chris...

Chris 3168 Northern Canberra Tuesday Oct 04, 2005 1:35 pm
Dogger Dan 3166 Lucan, Ontario, Canada Thursday Aug 26, 2004 10:43 am
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby lethaldog » Saturday May 17, 2008 1:17 pm

I think this may have been his main aim :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby drsmurto » Monday May 19, 2008 12:36 pm

Adelaide Hills make some damn fine sav blancs altho its past the time of the year when i drink them. I think most people drink their white wines too cold.

As for restuarants, i was trying out a the balhannah hotel last night which is one of the few decent pubs my side of the freeway and started the meal off with a fresh pint of Coopers BES. Launched into an Adelaide Hills shiraz (which doesnt have the balls of a McLaren Vale or Barossa Shiraz but then i find they are going overboard) with a nice steak. Actually, pre-dinner drinks were nice too, the partners family came around to ours to pick us up and we had some stout and dark mild fresh from my bar!

i think if i was living in any other state and had to put up with pubs that at the very least didnt have a Coopers on tap i would go insane!

As for - you know you're a Hber when - you wake up and go straight to the computer to adjust a recipe in beersmith that you were thinking about as you dropped off to sleep :shock:
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Monday May 19, 2008 12:55 pm

lethaldog wrote:I think this may have been his main aim :lol:

Haven't seen him for a couple weeks. He must have pissed off now he got the most posts :P
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Next

Return to In the kitchen and at the table