How to use high activity carbon??

Talk about methods, equipment and recipes for making brewed and distilled spirits at home.

How to use high activity carbon??

Postby chefeffect » Monday Jun 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi There,

I have recently tried experimenting with a still, I am aware of the legals but require assitance. I was wondering if any one can give me some usefull advise on filtering, I have bought high activity carbon and added it too the undiluted spirit and have it sitting for 24 hours, the spirit is still black will it seperate? or does the finishing carbon in the filter take the carbon out? also do I need to water the spirit down to 50% for the high activity carbon to work properly?

I have an in line filter and was also wondering if I have to treat the finishing carbon before I filter the spirit? I have looked on the web and cant find much help with high activity carbon as its a still spirit product and they only tell you how to use it in there filter system. Any help would be appreciated.

chefeffect.
Is there anybody out there......
chefeffect

Re: How to use high activity carbon??

Postby wrighty » Monday Jun 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Not sure about in line filters but i have used an essencia setup that has ceramic dome feeding to activated carbon cartridge
that had to be primed (soaked in water)before use .only ever fed it 40-45% spirit. the essenia setup works brilliantly well worth the $170
purchase.Can process 50-60lt of spirit before cartridge replacment.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby chefeffect » Monday Jun 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks wrighty,

I will dilute the spirit out a bit I think, I just hope I dont need an expensive filter with the high activity carbon just of yet, I will try a few batch's and decide if I like the spirit, but i guess a good filter will make better quality spirit too, as for now I will have to make do with this dinky in-line filter and hope it removes the high activity carbon.
chefeffect

Postby DavidP » Monday Jun 15, 2009 10:20 pm

A clean low gravity wash and good cuts will do away with carbon filtering.
Carbon filtering won't take the hangover out of your spirits....good cuts will.
DavidP

Postby chefeffect » Tuesday Jun 16, 2009 2:15 pm

That makes sense DavidP cheers..
chefeffect

Postby Lance » Saturday Jul 18, 2009 7:09 am

I to am filtering with active carbon and an inline filter because it is what came in the kit and and might as well use it up and not waste money, then i will be buying an Essenia filter. I soak my distilled and spirit which has been watered down to 40% with 10g/L for the first 2 days and then add 5g/L and soak for another 2 days and let the carbon settle out for another day or so. When i filter i fill the inline filter with finishing carbon and fill both ends of the clear tube which connects to the filter with filter wool. This just makes sure that i catch all the fine carbon which may get past the filter paperand not make my spirit black. I am looking forward to getting the Essenia fillter because not only does it remove the need for the use of granulated carbon and it only takes 24 hours to filter the spirit, but the spirit tastes SO much better because. I hope this helps a bit. Happy brewing
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Lance

Return to Spirits