best brew

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: best brew

Postby warra48 » Monday Oct 04, 2010 10:22 pm

speedie wrote:Would you please post the most revered ale in Geoff and Ollies Site?

Is it the use of all those caramel type malts that make it so desirable or maybe the ale yeast that has been pushed towards the top end of ester production?

So good DR if you would be so kind as to post this most elite brew formula I would be willing to push it into upper liter limits to see if it is well received in the west

Waiting with baited breath
Speedie

Ps no need to scale it as I have a pencil and calculator on hand
Pps no snide comments from the bleachers please!!!!

:twisted:

Try here for the full details: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... recipe=502
warra48

Postby Bum » Monday Oct 04, 2010 10:30 pm

And read the discussion thread to see how it is received in the West.
Bum

Postby speedie » Monday Oct 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Read the spread sheet on brew
Now is this the most current brew sheet or does it differ from that list presented
It sort of surprises me that there is American hop in an English best bitter but I am one for change

And the use of dehydrated yeast should make a shiver with that liquid culture crowd
(Once again even with your own entry you picked up an award with powdered yeast)

Thank you one and all for speaking for the dr
Cheers speedie
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am

Fair cop Bum, the last batch of 'golden ale' had only 1 of the original ingredients :lol:

I use the grist to play around with other hops and am currently using my homegrown hops as the late additions with magnum for bittering.

I am now using Pacman instead of US05. I've never said dry yeasts are bad Speedie, just that the number of strains are limited when compared to liquid. US05 is a clean, consistent performer.

The link provided by Warra and the discussion thread that follows it should provide you with more than enough variations on the recipe.

The version that won the award

2.40 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 56.47 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (20 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56)) Yeast-Ale

20L (efficiency in beersmith set to 70%)
OG 1.047
FG 1.014
IBU 31
EBC 13

Single infusion mash at 66C for 60 mins, 90 min boil.

This was bottle conditioned for 2 months prior to the comp so the hops had faded and the balance between malt and hops was spot on (to my taste).

The current version on tap and also the version that i took camping last weekend (the keg blew dry in 6 hours) is this one.

5.20 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 57.14 %
1.70 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 18.68 %
1.70 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 18.68 %
0.50 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (170.0 EBC) Grain 5.49 %
25.00 gm Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
40.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
60.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Rogue Pacman (Wyeast #1724) [Starter 5000 ml] Yeast-Ale

40L (efficiency in beersmith set to 68%), concentrated boil

OG 1.047
FG 1.014
IBU 32
EBC 18

Single infusion mash at 67C for 90 min, 90 min boil.

Next up will be homegrown cascade followed by homegrown POR, Victoria and Goldings.
Last edited by drsmurto on Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 11:11 am

drsmurto wrote:Single infusion mash at 60C for 60 mins, 90 min boil.

Is that accurate? When I did your recipe I mashed it at 65 or 66, from memory. I guess mine won't turn out being quite as dry as the actual recipe then, I suppose.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Sorry Bullfrog, that was a typo which i have now fixed.

The original was mashed at 66C for 60 mins.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Was hoping that were the case. I would have thought mashing at 60 would yield results akin to having used dextrose exclusively for the fermentables, haha.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Tuesday Oct 05, 2010 10:40 pm

is it fair to say that there is no set format that you follow
from the two sets there is different malts and different hops
i have similar formulas in my records
not going to dredge up posts but you did indicate that the use of liquid yeast would always produce better beer
so there must be some higher awarded brews that you havent posted?
if you can pick a brew that is 1 degree out of recommend sachrification temperature you are doing extremly well as a judge
thanks for your reply
what are your thoughts on nelson sauvin
i used them exclusively in one brew there was 2.5 kgs in 400 litres
speedie

Postby speedie » Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am

Golden ale slash English best bitter
After a nights sleep and my fruit smoothie breakfast I was thinking about your hopping ratios and would like some information on what you think of these numbers
Your first brew
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (20 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops
Has a total of 55 gm of hop and 20 litres length
So if we dived litres by hops you get 2.75 grams per litre of hop
With an IBU of 31

Your next brew
25.00 gm Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
40.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
60.00 gm Chinook - Mt Torrens [9.00 %] (0 min) Hops –
Has a total of 125 gm of hop and 40 litres length
So if we dived litres by hops you get 3.12 grams per litre of hop
With an IBU of 31

So it is an interesting set of numbers given that the boil times are the same
You used fewer hops in the first to obtain a given IBU and more in the second plus an addition of higher alpha acid hop

Do you remember any noticeable bitterness difference between the two brews was the second one more on the floral side?
As I said in the last post I used 2500 grams in 400 litres to get a gram to litre ratio of
6.25 And these hops are 13% AAs

I will post for your brewing consideration my APA slash golden ale it received bronze medal in the last Perth beer awards
Cheers speedie
:wink:
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 9:50 am

Not a big fan of nelson sauvin by itself but when blended with other hops it works well.

I have awards for stouts, altbiers, and dark ales all of which used liquid yeasts. The fact is Speedie, dry yeasts are limited by the number of strains available. They don't make bad beers but i find particularly given my love of english beers that the best beers i make use liquid yeast and one of the reasons i am extremely happy with the base golden ale recipe brewed using the Pacman yeast. It added another dimension to the beer that is missing when i use US05.

I'd never brew and english bitter with a dry yeast.

I'd never brew and Kolsch or Altbier with a dry yeast.

I'd never brew a pilsner with a dry yeast.

That's my personal preference and since my bar is rapidly filling with medals/trophies in only 3 years of AG brewing (since you seem to think that awards are the only way to determine a brewers skill) I must be doing a few things right. Awards at BJCP registered events too i might add Speedie. I will admit, unashamedly, that i only enter comps for the trophies to line my bar, not the feedback. I get all the feedback i ever need by passing my beer around to fellow brewers who are harsh critics and don't hold back if they think something is out of whack in a beer.

The similarity of the 2 golden ale recipes comes from the fact i start with the first recipe and replace ingredients. The % stays the same so i use the same amount of rye and i would wheat. These are obviously the 2 extreme opposites in the recipe, if you go through the AHB thread you can find dozens more.

I receive bottles of golden ale in the post regularly from new brewers who want me to provide them feedback on whether the golden ale 'tastes the way it should'. They always tastes different and that's to be expected but the vast majority have been good beers and a pleasure to taste and pass on feedback.

Judges aren't supposed to make comments about mash temps/ingredients etc as its extremely difficult to be certain of how the beer was made. There have been times i was convinced i was judging a kit beer only to find out it was AG. So when i judge or provide feedback i do it in a general way. I list what i can see/taste and smell and how they relate to a style if judging or a recipe if providing feedback.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. i get more of a buzz watching people start out on this forum brewing K&K, to steeping crystal and adding hops, moving away from kit yeast and some, not all making the transition to AG. I started out on this forum as a kit brewer and was helped so much along the way and i love being able to be the one that now does the helping. What goes around, come around and all that jazz. Which is why every recipe i brew is on this and/or other forums. None of my recipe are secret. And why i answer every PM i receive and every question asked of me. I bugged many brewers to get the knowledge i now have and still do as i am still relatively new to AG brewing.
drsmurto

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 9:56 am

Speedie - you hop calcs aren't quite correct as you aren't comparing apples with apples.

The amarillo are pellets as are the magnum. The chinook however are flowers and as such the utilisation decreases.

The 2nd beer is also a more concentrated boil (I add 10L of boiling water at flameout) so whilst the boil time is the same the SG is higher and the hop utilisation decreases with increasing SG. So it takes more hops to reach the same IBU.

But you are correct, the 2nd beer has more hop flavour/aroma and is slightly more bitter which is not totally surprising given that the 9.0%AA for the chinook is a guess.

The way i think about these things is to compare g/L at a given addition. Both beers use a 1g/L addition for flavour (20 mins) but the 2nd beer has a lager aroma addition (0 mins) 1.5g/L compared to 1g/L.

EDIT - one of my favourite beers to brew is this - Stammtisch Alt

Another favourite is a Munich Dunkel

97-98% Weyermann Munich the rest carafa special II or III.
Bittering addition only with something noble to 25 IBU
White Labs 833 (German Bock)
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am

So what are your thoughts on the questions asked as an avid brewer and beer judge?
To all other readers please include your assumptions

I started brewing many years back and wasn’t interested in competions (am now due to the social side of things)
A good friend of mine cohersed me into entering that was in 2001
Like you awards are by-products for your labour

And as far as liquid yeasts go I have probably used all of white labs and wyeasts products over the years but have settled on powdered due to the ease of use repeatability and consistency most pro brewers that I know do the same thing and they are producing medal winning beers
Cheers speedie

:wink:
speedie

Postby hirns » Wednesday Oct 06, 2010 11:36 pm

drsmurto wrote:
I'd never brew and english bitter with a dry yeast.

I'd never brew and Kolsch or Altbier with a dry yeast.

I'd never brew a pilsner with a dry yeast.

That's my personal preference and since my bar is rapidly filling with medals/trophies in only 3 years of AG brewing (since you seem to think that awards are the only way to determine a brewers skill) I must be doing a few things right. Awards at BJCP registered events too i might add Speedie. I will admit, unashamedly, that i only enter comps for the trophies to line my bar, not the feedback. I get all the feedback i ever need by passing my beer around to fellow brewers who are harsh critics and don't hold back if they think something is out of whack in a beer.

The similarity of the 2 golden ale recipes comes from the fact i start with the first recipe and replace ingredients. The % stays the same so i use the same amount of rye and i would wheat. These are obviously the 2 extreme opposites in the recipe, if you go through the AHB thread you can find dozens more.

I receive bottles of golden ale in the post regularly from new brewers who want me to provide them feedback on whether the golden ale 'tastes the way it should'. They always tastes different and that's to be expected but the vast majority have been good beers and a pleasure to taste and pass on feedback.

i was convinced i was judging a kit beer only to find out it was AG. So when i judge or provide feedback i do it in a general way. I list what i can see/taste and smell and how they relate to a style if judging or a recipe if providing feedback.

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. i get more of a buzz watching people start out on this forum brewing K&K, to steeping crystal and adding hops, moving away from kit yeast and some, not all making the transition to AG. I started out on this forum as a kit brewer and was helped so much along the way and i love being able to be the one that now does the helping. What goes around, come around and all that jazz. Which is why every recipe i brew is on this and/or other forums. None of my recipe are secret. And why i answer every PM i receive and every question asked of me. I bugged many brewers to get the knowledge i now have and still do as i am still relatively new to AG brewing.

Noooooo!!!!! He's corrupted the Grammar/s :D pelling Nazi!!!!!!! But well written none the less.

Hope this is purely a lack o :D f coffee issue!

Cheers ((hang one I just inserted a smiley face three times after cheers and it's appeared mid sentence all over the shop in previous sentences(seriously)).

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 07, 2010 9:43 am

Lack of coffee, killer head cold and may have possibly overdosed on phenylephrine.....

No excuses though, I will hang my head in shame.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Oct 07, 2010 11:54 am

Phenylephrine hydrochloride is the most useless drug in the world. Honestly, pseudo-pseudoephedrine; how detracted do we have to get from a product before we all realise that they've just taken to prescribing water? I have to go to the doctor and ask for the proper stuff now if I've got a massive headcold, which generally means that I go without, as they either seem to think that I'm some drug lord who is going to become the next Carl Williams with my twelve tablets of Sudafed, or I'm in just no mood to go and see a doctor.

Don't even get me started on the re-scheduling of codeine, either!

...and that's my little rant. :)
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Oct 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Hence why i overdose on the stuff.....
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 08, 2010 11:16 pm

I see that the all mighty board has intervened again
Sorry to the rest of you only they and I know!
where is the freedom of speach
speedie

Postby speedie » Friday Oct 08, 2010 11:19 pm

re read your post and i must say you are a really modest guy
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Oct 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Your posts made no sense and were ridiculous, Speedie, that's why they got moderated. Oh, and free speech (note the spelling) hardly applies to a forum with strict rules of posting. Post inside the guidelines or be moderated, it's that simple.
bullfrog

Postby earle » Saturday Oct 09, 2010 7:28 am

Was wanting to reread the guidelines but can't find them.
earle

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes