Boonies LCPA recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Nov 15, 2007 11:24 am

1g accuracy is fine. I was referring to your old kitchen scales with the needle dial. The error in those is probably more than 20g!

Like Kev says, 1g accuracy wont worry you until you start doing water modifications when you start weighing out as little as 1g.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Tim... » Thursday Nov 15, 2007 1:04 pm

drsmurto wrote:1g accuracy is fine. I was referring to your old kitchen scales with the needle dial. The error in those is probably more than 20g!

Like Kev says, 1g accuracy wont worry you until you start doing water modifications when you start weighing out as little as 1g.

Cheers
DrSmurto

I so far haven't had any problems with my water, so I'll leave water modifications to the experts. :wink:
Tim...

Postby sonictruth » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 11:01 am

i got 500gm jewelry scales off ebay for $15....works a treat.
sonictruth

Postby racer » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 11:43 am

G,day all.
Im looking for a recipe to better my K&K that I do at the moment.
With all the rave reviews this one gets, I thought I would start with this one.
Im not one to have heaps of hops so for starters should I reduce the hop additions until my pallet gets use to it or go all the way.
You could say im one of those that are only use to the BBQ type of brew and the commercial VB & New. Dont shoot me for that please.
Just looking at stepping up in the world of HB.
One othe thing is I brew at work and carnt boil the contens on the stove. All I have is a microwave. Is this OK? Any suggestions appreciated.
racer

Postby scblack » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 1:10 pm

racer wrote:G,day all.
Im looking for a recipe to better my K&K that I do at the moment.
With all the rave reviews this one gets, I thought I would start with this one.
Im not one to have heaps of hops so for starters should I reduce the hop additions until my pallet gets use to it or go all the way.
You could say im one of those that are only use to the BBQ type of brew and the commercial VB & New. Dont shoot me for that please.
Just looking at stepping up in the world of HB.
One othe thing is I brew at work and carnt boil the contens on the stove. All I have is a microwave. Is this OK? Any suggestions appreciated.
Racer, I would suggest not microwaving, do not do that.

If you can't boil your brew, possibly dry hop these hops - it will not be the same for you, as some flavour will be less but it will be closer than not giving it a go.

Dry hop them and give it a lash - but do not microwave. 8)
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby earle » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 1:13 pm

Brewing at work, sounds better than OK to me :D

What about using some of those hop extracts that Ross has at Craftbrewer? Do these provide bitterness as well as aroma?
earle

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 1:39 pm

scblack wrote:
racer wrote:<snip>

You talking from personal experience schblack?

Care to share why not?

I dont see why this couldnt be done.
drsmurto

Postby scblack » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 2:35 pm

drsmurto wrote:
scblack wrote:

Care to share why not?

I would think the microwave may nuke(cook) the hops beyond any usefulness. A microwave cooks from the inside of an item, it does not heat like a stove top from the external heat source. Hence in a microwave you see the edge of food which is thinner being nuked. I could see the hops in a brew turning out the same.

Plus the fact that I HATE the taste of a coffee that has been reheated in a microwave.

How does anyone imagine you are going to hold a rolling boil for 15 minutes in a microwave?
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 3:50 pm

I've boiled 1L starter worts in the microwave without a problem...Cook on high until the boil starts and then set the micro to 500W for the duration - never had a spillover yet.
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Timmsy » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 8:24 am

Tried a mates version of LCPA and was bloody nice. Will be trying it myself soon. It was.....

-Black Rock Pilsner Blonde
-500grms dex
-200grms corn
-250grms light malt dry
-150grms wheat malt
-10gms cascade 20mins
-5grms tettinanger 20mins
-15grms cascade 2mins
-10grms tettinanger 2mins
-let it stand 10mins
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achille's heel, if you will.
Timmsy

Postby sathid » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 9:44 am

scblack wrote:
drsmurto wrote:

Care to share why not?

I would think the microwave may nuke(cook) the hops beyond any usefulness. A microwave cooks from the inside of an item, it does not heat like a stove top from the external heat source. Hence in a microwave you see the edge of food which is thinner being nuked. I could see the hops in a brew turning out the same.

Plus the fact that I HATE the taste of a coffee that has been reheated in a microwave.

How does anyone imagine you are going to hold a rolling boil for 15 minutes in a microwave?

Sorry, but that is untrue. Microwaves DO NOT cook from the inside out.

However, microwaves can accelerate some chemical reactions, so it may have an impact on the isomerisation of the alpha acids.

A common misconception is that microwave ovens cook food from the "inside out". In reality, microwaves are absorbed in the outer layers of food in a manner somewhat similar to heat from other methods. The misconception arises because microwaves penetrate dry nonconductive substances at the surfaces of many common foods, and thus often deposit initial heat more deeply than other methods. Depending on water content, the depth of initial heat deposition may be several centimeters or more with microwave ovens, in contrast to broiling (infrared) or convection heating, which deposit heat thinly at the food surface. Depth of penetration of microwaves is dependent on food composition and the frequency, with lower microwave frequencies penetrating better.
sathid

Postby scblack » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 10:54 am

sathid wrote:Sorry, but that is untrue. Microwaves DO NOT cook from the inside out.

However, microwaves can accelerate some chemical reactions, so it may have an impact on the isomerisation of the alpha acids.

A common misconception is that microwave ovens cook food from the "inside out". In reality, microwaves are absorbed in the outer layers of food in a manner somewhat similar to heat from other methods. The misconception arises because microwaves penetrate dry nonconductive substances at the surfaces of many common foods, and thus often deposit initial heat more deeply than other methods. Depending on water content, the depth of initial heat deposition may be several centimeters or more with microwave ovens, in contrast to broiling (infrared) or convection heating, which deposit heat thinly at the food surface. Depth of penetration of microwaves is dependent on food composition and the frequency, with lower microwave frequencies penetrating better.
OH well, I'm wrong there, thanks for that. 8)
scblack

Postby rwh » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 11:10 am

By the way, Australians refer to broiling as grilling. I think we're virtually the only nationality that does. But I'm way OT now ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Thursday Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Timmsy wrote:Tried a mates version of LCPA and was bloody nice. Will be trying it myself soon. It was.....

-Black Rock Pilsner Blonde
-500grms dex
-200grms corn
-250grms light malt dry
-150grms wheat malt
-10gms cascade 20mins
-5grms tettinanger 20mins
-15grms cascade 2mins
-10grms tettinanger 2mins
-let it stand 10mins

You could ferment that with some lager yeast, next time, replace the cascade with Hallertauer and call it a koelsch bier!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Tim... » Saturday Dec 01, 2007 3:51 pm

Alright, just about to put this beer down in the next 10 minutes. But I had a thought. I was wondering if I could turn this into a beer I can drink from the stubby. It gets pretty annoying if your going to a friends house who doesnt have beer glasses, so you actually have to buy beer!

So, I have seen these "finnings" things in the HBS. Am I correct in thinking these are for filtering a beer? If so, can someone tell me how and when to use these? Or any other ways I can filter out my beer to have a nice sediment free batch for the summer?

I may do one batch without filtering, then one batch with filtering, just to see the difference.

Also, I am now doing Boonies original hopping schedule, rather than my modified one, thanks to the arrival of my new electronic scales :D (Thanks for the tip Kevnlis)

Cheers,
Tim
Tim...

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Dec 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Sorry but there is no real way to bottle carb a beer and have no sediment. You can however use a yeast that tastes nice in suspension like a recultured CPA yeast ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Tim... » Sunday Dec 02, 2007 3:02 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Sorry but there is no real way to bottle carb a beer and have no sediment. You can however use a yeast that tastes nice in suspension like a recultured CPA yeast ;)

:(
In that case, what are finnings actually for?
Tim...

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Dec 02, 2007 3:20 pm

The finings just help it to fall out of suspension better, it does not stop you gettin sediment at the bottom of the bottle though.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby warra48 » Sunday Dec 02, 2007 5:44 pm

If you're taking your beers, why not just take a glass along as well?
Might even educate the megaswill swillers into drinking quality beer and appreciating its treasures at the same time!
warra48

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 03, 2007 9:43 am

If you bottle from a keg you get clear carbed beer......... not that i have ever done it but would be very useful for taking beers around to mates places.
drsmurto

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes