Tetleys English ale!!

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Tetleys English ale!!

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Im a little worried about responses after researching other sites it would seem that alot of ppl frown upon this beer whereas i had never tried it till a little while ago and me and a mate had a few at the pig and whistle, i really liked it and was wondering if anyone can give me a hand with an A.G recipe for it. Cheers guys :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Re: Tetleys English ale!!

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Ok no takers so far on this one so i got on Beersmith and this is what i came up with... Any thoughts??

Tetleys english bitter
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 17/08/2010
Batch Size: 42.00 L
Brewer: Leigh
Boil Size: 52.00 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: 38 litre sparge

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.30 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.00 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 7.14 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 0.71 %
40.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
2.22 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.15 kg Brown Sugar, Dark (98.5 EBC) Sugar 2.14 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.81 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 31.9 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 19.8 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 6.85 kg
Sparge Water: 41.00 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 17.86 L of water at 77.0 C 70.0 C

Ok took your advice and made a few changes, as i said my memory is just a tad hazy too :D
Last edited by lethaldog on Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd go with bugger all hops, pale base with maybe some oats in the grist as it is a bit creamy, from memory. It's also not too alcoholic, either.

I'd think maybe along the lines of -

3.00kg Pale
0.50kg Vienna
0.50kg Flaked Oats
0.25kg Crystal

Mash a bit high, maybe between 66 and 70.

Probably hop with a single, small bittering addition, pick something British.

No brewing software here on my work computer and this is just off the top of my head, so take this post with a grain of salt.

EDIT: For a 23L ferment, by the way.

EDIT2: You and I seem to be thinking of very different beers. Perhaps I had a Tetley's Light...is there such a thing?

EDIT3: Nope, just did some reading and I was thinking of the Tetley's English Ale. Why are you throwing in so much chocolate? It's an orangey colour, red if we're being extreme, that much chocolate will not only be overpowering flavour-wise, but will throw the colour right off. I'd also be leaving the dark brown sugar out, but it's your beer at the end of the day.
bullfrog

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Im not sure but the one ive been trying to copy is fairly dark and creamy, enough bitterness but from what i can tell they are not big on the flavour additions, only 3.8% so its certainly not heavy!!

Yeah just throwing ideas out there at the moment and from any info i can get ( which is not much) apparently alot of english ales use sugar ( just what ive heard) and the tetleys that i had seemed fairly dark but id had a few so i could be mistaken!! :D
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Right. I had it out of their 440mL can (it's got the same little ball widget thing that the Guinness and Kilkenny cans have in them) and I don't remember it being all that dark, at all. I would have thought that you'd get enough colour out of the crystal, but then again I'm sure your recollection of the beer is a lot more fresh in your memory than mine. I think it would've been about 3 or 4 months ago that I had a Tetley's and I only had the one.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Aug 18, 2010 11:49 am

I'd drop the 30 and 1 min hop additions (as you noted, Tetleys isnt big on hop flavour/aroma), use dex instead of dark sugar and look at a good liquid english yeast. S-04 isn't a great yeast although if you push it to 20-22C you can get some esters out of it which you really want in an english bitter.

Grain bill is fine but if you can i would use english base malt (maris otter or golden promise, your choice) and use EKG to bitter with instead of NB.

English ales are something i brew a lot of, they are the reason i took up AG brewing.

My general grist is 90% ale, 5% crystal, 5% torrified wheat. Add some chocolate malt if i want something darker.

Tetleys from a handpump is a nice beer, the stuff in a can is bland.
drsmurto

Postby jayse » Wednesday Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I think where the frowning upon comes from when you compare to other great english ales ,Tetleys is a bit bottom of the barrel jobby like bodingtons and double diamond, its the mass produced, wide spread and some what dumbed downed varriant, adding to that the cream flow nonsense is not something drinkers of the great english bitters care much for.
I do like em but they can't compete with the likes of the greats, I don't get crystal malt character from it so as said above 5% max would be plenty.

Its a pretty simple beer, pale ale malt to 1.038 and around 35 IBU I would think but the mouthfeel is all in the low carbonation and cream flow pouring.
It does have a nice bitterness I will give it that.
jayse

Return to Recipes