ruddels county

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: ruddels county

Postby speedie » Tuesday Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am

about the hop’s origins, rather than having to rely on Larkin and Noakes?

Certainly the new variety caught on quickly. The earliest mention of Fuggles hops I have been able to find comes from the Brewers’ Journal of September 1883, where a reprint of a talk given a year earlier by Dr H. Braungart of Weihenstephan to the Swiss Brewers’ Congress in Geneva mentions (twice) “Juggles Goldings [sic] (Weald of Kent)” being grown in 1881, six years after the variety’s supposed introduction. Juggles is obviously a typo for Fuggles (the same article also talks about “Brambling” hops, when Bramling is meant), and Fuggles were occasionally regarded as a type of Goldings in the variety’s early decades.

Brewers eventually began to value the variety as well. A report on the hop market in The Times on November 13 1895 said: “The attention of brewers is being more and more centred upon Fuggles, of which the best and medium sorts passed off very well.” Ten years later, in a monograph on The Hop and its Constituents, Professor Percival wrote
speedie

Postby speedie » Tuesday Apr 19, 2011 10:11 am

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/BeerHops ... ofile.html
there is a lot of speculation out there
but i see goldings as the originator of a lot of variety hop plant
this old west dude has studied brewing for some time
cheers speedie :)
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 19, 2011 10:42 am

If we're talking origins then why do we even specify differentiations in hops at all? Instead of saying 'goldings,' why not just say 'prickly flower' as they all, no doubt, have the same origin.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm

speedie wrote:http://www.highgravitybrew.com/BeerHops/ukbramblingcrosshopsprofile.html
there is a lot of speculation out there
but i see goldings as the originator of a lot of variety hop plant
this old west dude has studied brewing for some time
cheers speedie :)

I suspect that as well as brewing for some time you have also drunk a lot for a very long time and have killed off most of your functioning brain cells.

Bramling Cross hops may well have originated from a goldings or fuggles cross but the flavour they impart to a beer is nothing like them.
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Tuesday Apr 19, 2011 10:58 pm

how the f--- much do you know i have consumed or even contemplate the amount
smarto if you are the south ozzie oricle you certinly dont act or even express yourself that way
we where discussing ruddels beer and hop usage for that style straight off the hiop your responce is it is only brambling cross no execption
this beer is a style of ale brewed in the uk, using time honoured available ingredients to that brewery
if bramblings became unavailable they would surely use an alterative ie golding etc

speedie
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Apr 20, 2011 4:42 am

Smurto (spelt with a U, Speedie) is hardly the one posting unintelligently. You're banging on about how one hop is the same as the next because they all have the same origins - about the same as saying water is the same as air. The reason we have different names for different hops is that they have significantly different characteristics.

Now, if you were trying to make a clone of a beer that uses BC, why would you start building your recipe around goldings? Amongst the stupidest things I've seen you post, Speedie.
bullfrog

Postby barls » Wednesday Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

speedie wrote:how the f--- much do you know i have consumed or even contemplate the amount
smarto if you are the south ozzie oricle you certinly dont act or even express yourself that way
we where discussing ruddels beer and hop usage for that style straight off the hiop your responce is it is only brambling cross no execption
this beer is a style of ale brewed in the uk, using time honoured available ingredients to that brewery
if bramblings became unavailable they would surely use an alterative ie golding etc

speedie

havent we already heard that you cant tell the difference between hops on the other forum, wasnt it galaxy and citra last time and you were proved so wrong. now brambling cross and all english hops are the same. :roll: :roll:
barls

Postby speedie » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 12:01 am

Could you pick the difference between golding and willamette in a beer with the same ibus if you didnt know what was in each beer ?
Blind tasting know what I mean?
Then again if you geuss it, there is a 50/50 chance it would be right.

speedie
speedie

Postby rotten » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am

speedie wrote:{Got removed.}
speedie

I don't have any luck. Someone may as well have some of it.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby speedie » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 10:27 am

hay rotten if it wasnt for bad luck i"ed have no luck at all

going to brew something over easter
not sure what
but with the weather being cooler probably be ales
am going to split brew system and do 200 litre batches of different brews on the same day

have a safe and happy easter all
speedster
speedie

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Apr 21, 2011 4:21 pm

speedie wrote:Could you pick the difference between golding and willamette in a beer with the same ibus if you didnt know what was in each beer ?
speedie

Honestly, yes.

But that's not to be a smart Alec. Just that to me they are two quite distinct flavours. I love Willamette in anything and Goldings to me tastes like grass clippings if used in the wrong type of beer. As a sidebar to this I absolutely loathe the taste of nutmeg, and can smell and taste it like Superman on a piece of cryptonite! My point being that we each have a different palette and favourite hops etc. If you can't distinguish between goldings and willamette that's not really a problem, it's just your palette.

If you're going to call a beer a Ruddel's clone then you need Bramling Cross. You might not taste the difference but your mates probably will. I'm sure Ross at Craftbrewer could supply enough for whatever size batch you are making. If you don't want to go to the trouble then why not use whatever hop/s you have at your diposal and call it an English Pale Ale?

For arguements sake why not do a side by side Golding's/BC comparison brew and see if you can't tell the difference?

Happy Easter and Cheers
Paul
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am

Someone who posts such unintelligible garble as you is either mentally retarded or drunk.

I was being nice to you and suggested it was the latter.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Is it me or did one of Speedie's posts go missing?
bullfrog

Postby emnpaul » Friday Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes, went missing.

I saw it earlier and was looking forward to exercising my right of reply but when I got back home it was gone.

Anyway, Speedie, I never claimed to be able to destinguish every type of hop there is, a quick wikipaedia search on hop varieties will reveal how tough a task that is.

I did however claim that I could tell the difference between Goldings and Willamette in a beer of similar IBU's. A statement I don't back away from. I don't feel this makes me special in any way shape or form as I'm sure many of the brewers on this site could do the same and indeed a great many other varieties that I'm yet to try out. For example, the packaging on a JS Amber ale claims 3 distinct hop varieties. Buggered if I know what two of them are, possibly one is cluster but not sure. The third is Willamette. And yes I could have picked that up from reading forums but I had already come to that conclusion and was happy to have it confirmed.

So, to bring it back to the subject at hand, if any of your mates know what Ruddels and Bramling Cross taste like and you were to slip them a Ruddels clone flavoured with Goldings or Willamette, would they agree with you when you said "it's the same hop anyway"?

Mate, I'm not having a go at you. Really. I do think you are letting a pre-conceived notion stand in the way of common sense though.

My last word on this subject.

Cheers and Happy Easter
Paul
Last edited by emnpaul on Friday Apr 22, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby gregb » Friday Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm

bullfrog wrote:Is it me or did one of Speedie's posts go missing?

Yes.
gregb

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm

gregb wrote:
bullfrog wrote:Is it me or did one of Speedie's posts go missing?

Yes.

Isn't it funny that so soon after he gets smacked in the noggin by the almighty banhammer on the other site, poor Greg has to go back to deleting his posts here? Any person with even the slightest modicum of self-awareness would see that as a sign that their behaviour is beyond welcome.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:17 pm

greg i didnt post any thing that warranted removing
i think you may have overreacted
cheers speedie
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 2:26 pm

Everybody else thinks that you did, Speedie. This is where that self-awareness comes into play.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Friday Apr 22, 2011 4:02 pm

you seem to talk for everyone?
speedie

Postby gregb » Friday Apr 22, 2011 4:20 pm

speedie wrote:greg i didnt post any thing that warranted removing

That is for me to decide.
gregb

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes