Beer comp what style?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Beer comp what style?

Postby AidanMatthews » Monday Aug 15, 2011 10:44 am

Hey guys,

Recently i tried to clone vale ale and got a good beer but not close to vale ale.

Ive decided to enter it in a comp but realised it doesnt fit into category very well...

Aus pale ale

Or

English pale ale.....

I used S04 yeast, cascade hopes and nelson sauvon, i also used standard pale malt + pilsner malt.

So its kinda of inbertween the two styles... I think its closer to australian pale ale, but i think ill be deducted points for s04 and not using pride of ringwood...

What should i do...?
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Re: Beer comp what style?

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Aug 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmmm. Sounds to me that it would fit more closely into the Australian pale ale category. I take it there's no American PA category?

So bittering was Cascade and/or NS? Reckon they'll be able to pick that it wasn't bittered with PoR (or conversely that it was bittered with Cascade or NS)?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Aug 16, 2011 2:39 pm

As far as any BJCP comp (SABSOSA, ANAWBS) is concerned it won't fit into any style.

Cascade hops are out of style for an Aussie or english pale ale and the nelson sauvin is out of style for an APA.

Assuming the judges are able to pick up these in your beer (and for me, NS is a very characteristic hop, as is cascade) you will be marked down. The yeast is less of an issue as it will depend on the amount of esters it has produced.

The grain you use etc is not important in that the judges wont know what you used. We judge a beer 'blind'. That is to say we know nothing about it, how it was made, who made it other than what style it is.

You aren't required to list the ingredients of the beer when entering it, the sections are optional so you are relying on the judges picking up these characters.
drsmurto

Postby AidanMatthews » Thursday Aug 18, 2011 8:38 pm

thanks doc,

i ended up submitting it under Australian pale ale,

So i submitted my first All Grain beer being the one mentioned in my original post.

I alos submitted my Dry Stout and my Coopers pale ale clone.

I think next time ill brew a few beers within style guidelines and submit only those if they are any good..

the attempt at vale ale clone was similar but not same. It made a great tasting beer but unfortunately did not fit into any guidelines.
If they mark me down on style points but come back with overall a good beer ill be happy.

i hope they arent to harsh with marking and feedback... even if they are the end result is fixing that disapointment with a few homebrews hahahahaha.

should be fine though, im looking forward to the feedback as its my first entry into this comp.
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Return to Recipes