Crackenback Pale Ale recipe help Please

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Crackenback Pale Ale recipe help Please

Postby Damn » Saturday Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Happy New Year to you all firstly.

Secondly thanks to all whom helped me with my last 3 partial mash recipes (Bum, emnpaul, big dave and others) (They're all tasting good).

Thirdly I'm planning a new recipe where I'd like to swap either/both the LDME & LLME with some grain to do a partial. I'm not confident on how to do it so would appreciate some advice to convert this to a partial. Also, I got this recipe from this site...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7607
and when it mentions dry hopping how many days into fermentation should I drop in the hops? And what volume of water should I brew for this?

Here's the recipe I'm going to try.....

3kg Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract
.5kg LDME

10g Chinook 60mins
15g Amarillo 20mins
15g Cascade 20mins
10g Amarillo Dry Hopped (How many days?)
10g Cascade Dry Hopped (How many days?)

How many Litres 21L? or less?

Thanks for your input.
Damn

Re: Crackenback Pale Ale recipe help Please

Postby Mad Dog » Sunday Jan 20, 2013 5:23 am

I would dry hop after active fermentation stops, and leave in till bottle/kegging day. Or when you move it to secondary...
Mad Dog

Re: Crackenback Pale Ale recipe help Please

Postby Oliver » Sunday Jan 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi Damn,

Why don't you do a 500g partial with Joe White ale malt (I'm guessing this is what they use but will stand corrected) and drop the 500g LDME. Or if you have the capacity do 1kg and drop another 500g malt extract.

To get the correct bitterness you will need to know what your target bitterness is and the alpha acid of the hops you have, then plug those into a brewing program (or do the maths longhand if you know how!). Without doing this you may end up with a beer that's too sweet (due to not enough bitterness) or too bitter.

Dry hop when the primary fermentation starts to subside.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Recipes