DrSmurto's Recipes from ANAWBS 2008

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: DrSmurto's Recipes from ANAWBS 2008

Postby kram » Thursday Dec 04, 2008 9:50 pm

drsmurto wrote:Dunno Neil. I use US05 generally but the next batch i will use 1272.

1272 will go great with that recipe!
kram

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 08, 2008 10:59 am

Had a few PMs asking for kit versions of these recipes.

So here is my take on them. The Golden ale is easy as it started out life as a kit beer! Think back to Pale_ale's JSGA clone many moons ago which i tweaked.

I will use Coopers lager as the base for them all as it is what i used to do. It is relatively light in colour/IBU and from what i can tell contains 4/5ths of bugger all hop flavour. Perfect for using as a base.

In all cases i assume you understand how to steep and that you can boil 4L in the one pot. If you have any questions please feel free to either ask them here or PM if you are the shy type.....

My general procedure is to steep the grain in a 6 pack esky. Perfect size for this. Use no more than 2L of water at 70C which is easily made up by using 2:1, boiling water: cold tap water. I like to pre warm the esky with hot tap water for 5 mins prior to this. Add the grains, mix well and allow to sit (steep) for 30 - 60 mins. Drain through a colander/strainer into a pot and wash with another 1L of 70C water. Add 1/2 of the tin of wheat malt (or approx 250g of the LDME in others) and stir to dissolve. Top up to 4L and bring to the boil (this gives me a rough 1.050 gravity). Add hop additions as listed. When you turn the flame off add remaining malts/tins and dissolve. Strain into fermenter. Top up to desired volume.

Golden Ale
1 x tin Coopers Lager (1.7kg)
1 x tin Coopers Wheat Malt (1.5kg - note this is actually 50/50 barley/wheat)
250g of JW caramalt or english light crystal
15g of Amarillo hops at 15, 5 and flameout.
Yeast - US05
Top up to 21L for OG 1.048, IBU ~ 30. ABV ~ 4.6%

4 Shades of Stout
1 x tin Coopers Lager
1.5kg LDME
250g JW caramalt or light english crystal
250g Weyermann Carafa Special II
250g Chocolate malt
250g Roasted Barley
20g of green bullet at 15 and flameout. (sub styrian goldings or EKG)
Yeast - SO4 or nottingham
Top up to 20L for OG 1.055, IBU ~ 40, ABV ~ 5.0%

Prince of Darkness (Dark Ale / Brown Porter)

1 x tin Coopers Lager
1.0 kg LDME
150g light crystal
150g dark crystal
200g chocolate malt
25g Fuggles at 25 and 5 mins.
Yeast - SO4 or nottingham
Top up to 20L for OG 1.048, IBU ~33, ABV ~4.8%

IIPA
2 x tins Coopers Lager
1.5kg LDME
Hops
20 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
10 min - 15g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
0 min - 25g each of Fuggles, EKG and Styrian Goldings
Dry hop - 20g each of EKG and Styrian Goldings
Yeast - US05
Top up to 20L for OG 1.078, IBU ~ 70, ABV ~7.5% (these numbers i my best guess as its hard to work out utilisation with such a small boil volume and so many hops - the bigger the boil the more accurate the guesstimate you can make using beersmith).

Hope they are of use to some of you. Extract brewers should easily be able to convert these, partial mashers can go backwards from the AG recipes.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby dregs » Tuesday Dec 09, 2008 12:22 pm

thanks Dr, very good of you to provide these, some more to add to the list.

cheers
dregs

Postby Lachy » Tuesday Dec 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Cheers for those recipes, mate. Consider them... *ahem* "borrowed". :wink:
Lachy

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Hey Doc,

I am going to have a blast at this one of yours...

Golden Ale
1 x tin Coopers Lager (1.7kg)
1 x tin Coopers Wheat Malt (1.5kg - note this is actually 50/50 barley/wheat)
250g of JW caramalt or english light crystal
15g of Amarillo hops at 15, 5 and flameout.
Yeast - US05
Top up to 21L for OG 1.048, IBU ~ 30. ABV ~ 4.6%

I understand its only a 15 minute boil,
but whats the go with the 250g of grain, its obviously in the boil, but is the grain crushed or not ?

(Just that I read in Palmers book about some specialty grains not being crushed)...

Cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 23, 2010 12:38 pm

Hey Chris,

Spec grains will always be supplied in a ready-to-steep state. Simply get your water to ~70 degrees (I use a 3:1 water to grain ratio, so 750mL of water for 250g of grain) and pop the grain in. Half an hour later, strain the liquid into whatever pot you're using for your boil. Some people then add some more water to the grain and strain again, but it's not strictly required.

Add some malt to the liquid that you just strained off your grains and top up to your desired boil volume. You should aim for a boil gravity of around 1.040 so you want to add about 100g of malt per litre of water (ie, if you're doing a 5L boil, add 500g malt, or a third of your tin.) Power up your stove and away you go.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm re-hashing stuff you already know, by the way.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 23, 2010 12:57 pm

Grog, as Bullfrog has pointed out, the grain needs to be steep, strained then boiled. His advice is spot on so nothing more i need to ad to it.

The grain needs to be crushed before steeping so ask your HBS to do so for you. If they cant i would be looking for a new HBS....

Other option is a few quick pulses in a food processor or coffee/spice grinder :shock:

Have fun with it - the golden ale is a crowd pleaser and the AG version is one i regularly brew for my non HB mates (the brewers also enjoy it). The kit version you are doing was one of, if not my best, kit beer.
drsmurto

Postby Planner » Friday Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm

drsmurto wrote:Have fun with it - the golden ale is a crowd pleaser and the AG version is one i regularly brew for my non HB mates (the brewers also enjoy it). The kit version you are doing was one of, if not my best, kit beer.

I regularly brew the kit version, lately it's been every second or third brew. I agree non HB drinkers enjoy it (maybe too much sometimes). Will be putting down another batch this weekend although it will have some cascade subbed in, as I only have 30g of amarillo left.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Apr 23, 2010 1:25 pm

WOW - so many replies...

thanks lads, thats awesome info.

Bullfrog, this may be a silly question, but i need to get my head around it...
I'm basically doing a tiny mash (steeping), i understand that part.
I need to boil at around 1040SG, and I just add water / malt at ratios to get this.
So at the end of the boil, I'm chucking in the balance of any leftover liquid malts, and topping up to 21L, and the SG will end up roughly 1048.
Sorry again if its a dumb question.

Also, I just phoned my LHBS, and it may be that they only have liquid Caramalt, how much Liquid would = 250 grams of grain ?

Cheers, and many thanks guys...

Chris :)
SuperBroo

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 23, 2010 1:40 pm

No such thing as a stupid question, mate.

I'm a bit paranoid about infections so I tend to add the entire rest of my fermentables to the boil at around 10-15 minutes from the end of the boil, just to pasteurise it and make sure there's no bugs in it.

At the end of your boil, take the pot off the stove (put the lid on) and try to drop the temperature of it as quickly as possible. There are a lot of different methods for this, but what I do is throw some frozen water bottles into a sink, top up with water and pop the pot in. When it's cool enough that it won't destroy my fridge, I put it in there until it's at a low-enough temp to pitch (sometimes overnight if I'm doing my boil later in the evening than I should be.)

When the wort is at a suitable temperature, tip it into your fermenter, fill up to desired volume with water, aerating as you go, then throw your yeast in.

Haven't ever used Caramalt, so can't help you on that one.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 23, 2010 2:13 pm

I regularly combine cascade and amarillo in a golden ale.

The last batch had galaxy.

If you cant get caramalt ask for any light or medium crystal malt. If they dont have any grains i would strongly recommend you find a better HBS. Gryphon Brewing or TWOC Brewing Supplies are 2 HBS in WA that i have heard of. I've bought hops from Neville at Gryphon before, good bloke to deal with.

From a post of mine above, my general procedure back in the kit brewing days.

My general procedure is to steep the grain in a 6 pack esky. Perfect size for this. Use no more than 2L of water at 70C which is easily made up by using 2:1, boiling water: cold tap water. I like to pre warm the esky with hot tap water for 5 mins prior to this. Add the grains, mix well and allow to sit (steep) for 30 - 60 mins. Drain through a colander/strainer into a pot and wash with another 1L of 70C water. Add 1/2 of the tin of wheat malt (or approx 250g of the LDME in others) and stir to dissolve. Top up to 4L and bring to the boil (this gives me a rough 1.050 gravity). Add hop additions as listed. When you turn the flame off add remaining malts/tins and dissolve. Strain into fermenter. Top up to desired volume.
Last edited by drsmurto on Tuesday Apr 27, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Apr 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks lads,

Yes, I usually get my stuff at TWOC, but a little shop has just opened here in Bunbury, and they store hops / yeast in fridge etc, and they are trying to build up some stock, so I do try to support them a bit, but I just paid 9 bucks for 45 grams of Amarillo, so I am stuck between wanting to support them and paying thru the nose... must be hard trying to set up a HB shop...

I just got some crystal grain, so all cool there.
I understand the steeping part, thanks for the info,
and yes, I would have pasteurised the balance of the malt anyway near the end of the boil.

so tonights the night, will give it a go...

thanks again, sincerely appreciated...

Cheers, and have nice weekend...
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Friday Apr 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Have fun and let us know how you get on.
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Saturday Apr 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, made it up last nite, all went easy.
Plus its so quick to do compared to an Ag.

Gee, it smells nice, cant wait to taste in a few months.

Thanks for the suggestions, will report back when it hits the tonsils...

Cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Dec 09, 2011 4:10 pm

sorry... just reread this thread, and realised I hadnt posted the response...

it was awesome :)
SuperBroo

Previous

Return to Recipes