The Wanton Wench's Sister Belgian Witbier

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

The Wanton Wench's Sister Belgian Witbier

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Thursday Nov 13, 2008 2:33 pm

This is a partial mash recipe I put down last sunday:

* 500g Pilsner Galaxy
* 500g Organic Wheat
* 250g Flaked Wheat
* 100g CaraPils
* 1.5kg Coopers LME - Light
* 1.5kg Coopers LME - Wheat
* 300g LDME
* 100g Coriander Seed
* 2x Sweet orange peel (valencia, I think…)
* 45g Hersbrucker @ 60 mins
* 45g Hersbrucker @ 30 mins
* 6x Hersbrucker plugs @ flame-out for 30 mins
* Safbrew T-58 dry yeast

I used a 24 litre esky for mashing the grains, placing the grains in a grain bag, heating 10 litres of water up to 70°C, then putting it all in the esky for 1 hour. I checked temp half-hour in, and it was holding well at 65°C.

Tipping this wort into a pot, I added about 2/3 tin of LME and the whole of the DME, bringing to the boil and adding the first lot of hops.

While this was happening, I had the orange peel and coriander seed boiling in a pot, adding water as necessary.

Once the boil had finished after 1 hour, I added the rest of the LME, the coriander/orange decoction, turned off the flame, and added the hops plugs. Left this covered for about half-hour whilst we got ready to transfer it all into the fermenter (and having a beverage or two whilst we were at it).

We then strained this wort, getting all the bits of hops out of it, and letting it cool. We pitched the yeast at 24°C. It was bubbling like a geyser by the following morning and has been consistently fermenting since… although today being such a hot day, I’m concerned that the wort is reaching the upper limits that the yeast strain can handle; but all seems ok….

OG: 1053
estimated FG: 1012

Look forward to drinking this one..............
Life is like a box of chocolates.... sometimes you get a hard one!
dragonphoenix73

Return to Recipes