Partial/Minimash Ideas

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Re: Partial/Minimash Ideas

Postby billybushcook » Monday Jun 01, 2009 8:35 am

All Grainer.....No Brainer......!

Put down the above recipe on Sat, single 60 Min addition of PoR flowers,
Went really well, I nailed my strike temp (64) first go, had 64.5 at first, but by the time I had stirred the dough balls out it sat nicely on 64, so "bag it & tag it" threw a blanket over it & walked away!!!
The only reall hassle was the overall time taken, but there are a few things I can trim up there, Took 5 3/4hrs from "mash in" to pitching.

I need to get my Kettle going a little harder (extra vents above burner) & some how get the straining system from Mash Tun to kettle going a little faster, that took over an hr & a half with sparging.
The chiller worked a treat, 1/2 hr to bring it down to 21C (it has always worked well as a shower water heater Too)

Now hapilly frothing away in the box with the S-23 in it.
Box/Temp mate working well, set at 11C at present & holding it nicely,

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby Bizier » Monday Jun 01, 2009 6:05 pm

Good work Mick.
I have my first AG on right at the moment too finally after about 20 partials and 20 k&B.\
Congrats mate, and I hope you really enjoy the resulting beer.
Bizier

Postby wrighty » Monday Jun 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Congrats Mick ,Bizier.
Look foward to hearing the results .Have also started to gather some gear for an all grain attempt
in the future.See what happens i feel like f@&*@n leming. :roll: :roll:
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby Bizier » Tuesday Jun 02, 2009 8:57 am

wrighty wrote:Have also started to gather some gear for an all grain attempt
in the future.See what happens i feel like f@&*@n leming. :roll: :roll:

By taking control of your brew process?
You are a maverick, not a lemming.
Bizier

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Jun 03, 2009 11:35 am

I'd doubt that I can make AG my staple (too much time required) but if this one turns out OK it might be worth persuing as a "once a month" type thing & do a kit or two in between as my primary/daily drinking stock.
It has got me keen to do a few more though,
Time is not an issue just at the moment, I got 4 weeks notice of redundancy yesterday & can work the 4 weeks or take a holiday at normal pay, no-body in thier right mind would stay there once youv'e been given marching orders (only a slight difference in tax rate apparently)

One thing I found though with the AG was that it still has a strong aroma of the hops, even now while fermenting, maybe it wasn't boiled hard enough?

It did actually boil, just not an agressive full rolling boil & I thought a single 60Min addition wasn't supposed to give much aroma or will this settle down?

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Jun 06, 2009 12:40 pm

With practice you can make an all grain beer pretty quickly. Last night I made an APA after the missus headed off to work.

Mashed in at 7:40pm - finished washing up and was having a coldie at 11:40pm...22L of bubbling 1.050 APA half an hour later! :D

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby billybushcook » Monday Jun 08, 2009 11:34 am

Above brew is looking pretty good, Racked it (there is another first) on day seven at sg 1010 & threw in a hand full of dextrose to get a Co2 layer happening again, it is now down to all but zero (1.002) only 3 days later!! yeh yeh!

& Can you believe it.........I was in Newcastle on Fri & called in at Marks Home brew & picked up another batch of grain the same as above.........This is not good....... :D :D :D :D

Mick.
billybushcook

Previous

Return to Recipes