Recipe Advice

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Recipe Advice

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jan 07, 2010 10:04 am

Hi brewers,

I recently posted a question on another forum about a recipe that I've devised for a brew to make my brother (his birthday is coming up in a few months) and I thought I should get the advice of people here (tends to be more people that know what they're talking about here). My brother doesn't tend to like the bitterness of my brews but likes the hop flavours, so I've put together a recipe that would be less bitter whilst (hopefully) still being flavourful and I wanted to get people's advice on the malt bill and hop schedule.

The recipe is as follows:

1.5kg light LME
1.0kg light DME
0.4kg dextrose
0.3kg crystal (steeped)

10g Amarillo @ 30 mins (8.5% AA)
10g Centennial @ 25 mins (9.7% AA)
10g Cascade @ 20 mins (5%AA)
10g Centennial @ 15 mins (9.7% AA)
10g Cascade @ 10 mins (5% AA)
10g Centennial @ 5 mins (9.7% AA)

Either US05 or Nottingham yeast.

It should come out at around 27 IBU's.

I should note that I'm using things that I already have lying around (although I'm not averse to purchasing more stuff -- can never have too much hops or malt!) and I'm starting with the Amarillo as I've only got the 10g left and I'd like to use it up.

Any thoughts?
bullfrog

Re: Recipe Advice

Postby Bizier » Thursday Jan 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Looks good.

I would personally go a little higher on the additions for fear of it not attenuating enough or the hops not utilising enough.

It looks very much like a good pale, perhaps balanced toward sweet.

What crystal are you using?
Bizier

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jan 07, 2010 5:50 pm

The crystal is from Country Brewer and they only title it "Crystal" ...and then the label goes on to give some pretty poor advice on how to use it, too.

The LHBS re-opens after their Christmas break on Saturday so I might run in and grab a few things. I'd almost prefer to up the cascade but keep the centennial as is, just because I've found it can be a little overpowering.

Maybe 15 or 20g cascade additions?
bullfrog

Postby Bizier » Friday Jan 08, 2010 6:17 am

I am seriously the wrong person to answer that. My idea of balance is 100g additions :) I have a syringe that has an inline hopback so I can shoot the stuff up.

If your bro likes hop flavour, then you could charge a bunch in at the end, like <5mins and dry hop.

I don't know if you have had a chance to try it, but Murrays recently had a limited release called big wednesday. Huge lage hop charge, but the back was all a beautiful biscuity (read: UK) malt flavour. A handle of this was a beautiful thing.
Bizier

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jan 08, 2010 10:31 am

I've got an all centennial IPA on tap at the moment. Its english in style (read - balanced) with american hops.

Loving it. 8)

Your recipe looks good. I'd stick with US05 though as i find nottingham mutes the hops too much for my liking.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Jan 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Okay, putting this brew down in a couple of hours after bottling another (perhaps two, if I can be arsed) batches and freeing up some fermenter space.

I've made a few changes and the new recipe is now as follows:

1.00kg light LME
1.25kg light DME
0.50kg dextrose
0.25kg maltodextrin
0.30kg crystal (steeped)

10g Amarillo @ 30 mins (8.5% AA)
10g Centennial @ 25 mins (9.7% AA)
12g Cascade @ 20 mins (5%AA)
15g Centennial @ 15 mins (9.7% AA)
12g Cascade @ 10 mins (5% AA)
15g Centennial @ 5 mins (9.7% AA)

US05 yeast.

I figured I'd use up my remaining Cascade stocks (no point having 4g lying around) and I figured I'd get rid of a can of Saunders LME and a packet of Country Brewer Brew Booster that I was given.

Also thought that I'd up the two later Centennial additions to add a bit more flavour and aroma.

Crossing my fingers that this turns out a fairly decent pale ale that both my brother and myself will be able to throw back. If it turns out that he doesn't like it then I'll be stuck with the whole lot, so me being able to bare it is pretty important. The few extra IBU's added should help, though.

Will also be following the golden rule that I forgot last time, in that I won't crack my first beer until at least the first hop addition. Don't want to be ending up with an overfull batch because I forgot to add a tin (and a half, in that case) of LME after already topping up to 23L. Actually, my brother may enjoy my accidentally watered-down ale, too :P
bullfrog

Postby bullfrog » Monday Mar 08, 2010 7:50 am

UPDATE:

Just had to let everybody know that this is no longer going to be given to my brother. I've decided to keep it all to myself, well, what's left of it, anyways. Definitely my best brew to date.

I think it's still a bit too hoppy for my brother, but my old man and me managed to polish off a case of it on Saturday night. I'm going to make it again, but this time I'm going to not just use up crap that I've got lying around and I'll be removing the dex/maltodextrin combo in favour of all malt.

Hops are still a bit green but I couldn't stop throwing these back. I'd like to be keeping a few to see how they age, but they're that moreish that it's going to be an effort in pure will-power to not smash through the lot of them by the end of this week.

Anyways, just thought people may have wanted to know how it all went.
bullfrog

Postby warra48 » Monday Mar 08, 2010 9:13 am

Doesn't that experience just make brewing your own all worthwhile? :D :D :D
warra48

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday May 04, 2010 11:34 am

Just started cold-crashing a version of this brew with Amarillo, NS and Cascade, last night. It was all I could do to not drink the entire batch directly from the fermenter when I did a hydro test on it. Will keg it on the weekend. Going to have to teach myself the Ross method of force carbing because I'd love to sink a few of these on Sunday while the Swans smash the Cats.

I removed the maltodextrin and went with 1.5kg LLME and 1kg of LME, this time around. Still kept the 500g of Dex. Reckon this will become my fermentables schedule for all my APA's, just works so well. That is, of course, until I go to the dark side, but I don't think I can justify buying AG equipment immediately after just shelling out for a keg system. Might have to wait a few months before that's allowed...
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday May 04, 2010 11:46 am

bullfrog wrote:Just started cold-crashing a version of this brew with Amarillo, NS and Cascade, last night. It was all I could do to not drink the entire batch directly from the fermenter when I did a hydro test on it. Will keg it on the weekend. Going to have to teach myself the Ross method of force carbing because I'd love to sink a few of these on Sunday while the Swans smash the Cats.

I removed the maltodextrin and went with 1.5kg LLME and 1kg of LME, this time around. Still kept the 500g of Dex. Reckon this will become my fermentables schedule for all my APA's, just works so well. That is, of course, until I go to the dark side, but I don't think I can justify buying AG equipment immediately after just shelling out for a keg system. Might have to wait a few months before that's allowed...

You can drink in your sleep? :lol:
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday May 04, 2010 11:59 am

drsmurto wrote:You can drink in your sleep? :lol:

Haven't tried, to be honest. Might get it down-pat with some practice. The good thing is that I'll have plenty of time to practice, seeing as I won't be needing to that skill anytime soon! :lol:
bullfrog

Return to Recipes