Carlton Draught Partial recipe

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Carlton Draught Partial recipe

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi All,

I'd like to do a partial mash and hopefully end up with something remotely like a carlton draught.

Would any of you experienced HB'ers have a recipe I could try ?

I'm going to do a partial mash, and am using a bucket in bucket, and have about an 18 Litre cooking pot at thisstage.
The pot may be too small ?

Anyway, any ideas / info much appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris, WA
SuperBroo

Re: Carlton Draught Partial recipe

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Mar 17, 2010 6:36 pm

My opinion of the given beer aside for a minute.

I actually brewed a beer not long ago using a blend of S04 and 34/70 yeasts and fermented at around 16 (can't remember exactly, but was aiming for between the two). After fermentation, the yeast profile was exactly like Fosters lagers e.g. Carlton Draught. Though because it was not filtered, the yeast kept working for a while in the bottle and cleaned the beer right up after a while. As a side note, I added the 34/70 to clean up after the S04, which I find to be a very messy yeast, none of the desired esters I want, and all of the diacetyl I don't.

For a 23L batch, and with no actual calculations, I suggest:
a Coopers "Cerveza" can because they are bland and pale
Get some generic 'ale malt' from your LHBS say, two kilos
*insert mini-mash instructions here*
Boil with 35 IBU of Pride of Ringwood hops at 60 - taking kit bitterness into consideration
Add 10 or 20g of POR again at 10 minutes for aroma
Chill and pitch 2 rehydrated packs of 34/70 and ferment at 16 degrees if you can
add maybe a half kilo of sugar 2 days into ferment

I would probably drink that over the commercial stuff.

Cheers
Dan
Bizier

Postby Bizier » Wednesday Mar 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Yes your pot is not huge, but it is a damned sight better than the 7L spaghetti pot I used when I was doing partials, so you will be fine. I made a mild in a 19L pot with a grain bag for BIAB and won a gold in Sydney.

I should add that you might be best off substituting the kit with unhopped (nearly said unmalted :roll: ) extra-pale extract, and adjusting your grain QTY.

There is a new software program out called BrewMate which is free, I haven't used it because i have purchased Beersmith. It can help you with your calculations.

Remember that it is important to just do it, you won't make the best beer in your life right now, but it will be better than your last. It is better to just tackle these ones head-on and learn as much from each as you can. There is no point deliberating too much in the early stages (unless you are wildly off - this is where software and style guides like BJCP come in).

FINALLY - good job on tackling a partial! Once you start messing with base malts instead of just extracts, you will really learn what it is to tailor your beer to your palate. You might start off desiring a humble replica of Carlton Draught, but you might end up really learning a great deal more.
Bizier

Postby SuperBroo » Thursday Mar 18, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks Bizier, info apperciated.

Yes, perhaps the best bit of advice you gave there was dont dussyfoot around, get stuck in and make it so that the ball is rolling.

I went to an all grain demo on the weekend and now really have to get one down.

I have to wait a week more until my fridge space is free and then I'll whack one in.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again...
SuperBroo

Postby Bizier » Thursday Mar 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Grog wrote:get stuck in and make it so that the ball is rolling.

Practice makes perfect; and as a bi-product it also makes increasingly great beer.

Go AG by all means, and do it cheap to begin. There is plenty of information on super-cheap 'ghetto' setups. Remember that you can consult more experienced brewers on major purchases like kettles etc, as it is easy to get enthusiastic and have to buy duplicate items a little later on when you decide that your equipment is not sufficiently versatile.

Enter into comps if you have access. You will get valuable critical feedback your mates will never provide, and if you can take it on board, you will really begin to brew astounding beers.

Please post your recipe, your process and your thoughts on the resulting beer.
Bizier

Postby SuperBroo » Friday Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am

Thanks Bizier,
Will record it all when I do it, and post here...

cheers,
Chris
SuperBroo