Grumpie's Recipes

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Grumpie's Recipes

Postby hirns » Monday Mar 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Grumpy's Recipies are mentioned a lot on this forum(and others). I'm aware that this great store appears to have closed down. Would those that have saved copies of these recipies care to post them in this thread for others to enjoy? Going by discussions many of these recipies were on the money. :D

Hirns
hirns

Re: Grumpie's Recipes

Postby warra48 » Monday Mar 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Grumpies used to have a Forum, and many of the recipes would have been on there.
I was briefly a participant in that forum, just before it disappeared from ether space.

From memory, it had a very lengthy thread on cloning LCPA, with quite a number of posts by the brewer from Little Creatures at the time.

I did not keep any of the information from the site.

The only one I know of who also posted on that site is DrSmurto. As an outside chance, perhaps a PM to him might elicit what you are looking for?
warra48

Postby hirns » Monday Mar 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks Warra, ironically it was a LCPA all grain recipe that I was after. Unlike Boonies' recipe this site and other sites have not generated such occalades when it comes to all grain. There has been many contestants on the AHB but none that have been backed up with the acclaim aclaim given to Boonies' recipe. Being new to all grain I know that there is a better recipe, out there.

Hirns
hirns

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Mar 30, 2010 9:57 am

That was a great thread on Grumpys with a brewer from Little Creatures involved in the discussion. I used the info to make an AG version which was my 1st AG and has been tweaked a few times over the years. Although i suspect it now isn't really an LCPA clone as i like adding chinook late in the boil and LCPA apparently doesn't. Its all cascade in a hopback.

I haven't saved the recipe(s) as such but all those old threads can be seen by using sites like internet archive.

Here is the LCPA thread - Linky

Whilst the Grumpys HBS closed down a few years ago the 2 blokes running it are still in operation and still sell the Grumpys kits. They go under the name Still Brewing and are still based in the Adelaide Hills although its an online shop only now - Link (link doesnt seem to work but its the correct address. Not sure whats going on.)
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 10:21 am

Doc thank you so much, exactly what I was after.

Hirns
hirns

Postby rotten » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 12:34 am

Thanks from me too doc.
I had a few LCPA tonight, maybe even a few too many and thought to myself 'How could i get close to that?' Now I know. How awesome was it for the Little Creatures guy to comment, and comment well. You wouldn't see that too often these days would you? I have searched for grumpies forum/recipes many times and only find a pub and micro/boutique brewery. If you know any more of their recipes or know where to find them I would be wrapped to have a look.
Must call in for a beer next time in adelaide, hard when missus won't drive in city or hills though.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby hirns » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 7:51 am

rotten wrote:Thanks from me too doc.
I had a few LCPA tonight, maybe even a few too many and thought to myself 'How could i get close to that?' Now I know. How awesome was it for the Little Creatures guy to comment, and comment well. You wouldn't see that too often these days would you? I have searched for grumpies forum/recipes many times and only find a pub and micro/boutique brewery. If you know any more of their recipes or know where to find them I would be wrapped to have a look.
Must call in for a beer next time in adelaide, hard when missus won't drive in city or hills though.
Cheers

So did I but not too many 8) and of the all grain home brew type. It is Tony's recipe ftom AHB. It is a fantastic recipe. Mine is a fraction bitter but that's a consequence of cooling the wort in the bath which takes longer. What is even better is that it is my first all grain that hasn't had the wet cardboard taste. I had been boiling with the lid on as I was clueless and secondly as the kitchen stove is so gutless. A three ring burner has fixed the problem but now I'll need to repeat about six brews. None the less, Tony's recipe is fantastic.

Cheers :D
Hirns
Last edited by hirns on Sunday Aug 22, 2010 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
hirns

Postby rotten » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks Hirns.
I do feel like I'm off my training wheels now so I have joined that 'other' site recently, so I will look it up.
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby hirns » Sunday Aug 22, 2010 8:38 am

Should have used Tony's persuedonym which is Browndog: Link http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... =19317&hl=

Cheers :D

Hirns
hirns

Return to Recipes