pucker up this is dry

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

pucker up this is dry

Postby alanl » Friday Jun 22, 2012 11:44 am

hi all ..made brew useing just bought juice and yeastand some apple and black current
worked well but gosh its dry/bitter
after 6 or 7 its ok
but would love it to be a lot sweeter
put down last lot with 1k dex mix before botteling would 2 or 3k help in 18 ltr,s
at moment im putting 60ml of cascade b/c juice in it to drink
biggest prob is between new brew and drinking time to see if its ok
thanks all great forum
alanl

pucker up this is dry

Postby bullfrog » Friday Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

Dextrose is more-or-less entirely fermentable so dries out the brew. I make cider with just juice and yeast and find that it works well.

Also look at the yeast strain you're using. Cider yeasts tend to attenuate pretty highly, leaving a drier product. I use US-05, which is a neutral ale yeast, and find that there are enough sugars left unfermented to still have some residual sweetness.

If you try those changes and still want it a bit sweeter, try adding 500g of lactose. Lactose is a sugar derived from milk and is just about completely unfermentable, so it adds sweetness to the brew.
bullfrog

Re: pucker up this is dry

Postby timmy » Wednesday Jun 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I also heard some advice about using artificial sweeteners before bottling.... never tried it because it sounded horrible.

FWIW you might want to try the Wyeast Cider strain. It doesn't go too dry and it gives a nice fruity cider.
timmy

Re: pucker up this is dry

Postby alanl » Saturday Jun 30, 2012 12:54 pm

thanks all
alanl

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .