Lager yeast for Cider?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Lager yeast for Cider?

Postby Planner » Thursday Jun 27, 2013 9:41 am

Yesterday SPC factory sales had Goulburn Valley Pear Juice for $1.50/l so I bought a case to try an all juice pear cider. I keep saying it will be for SWMBO (but even I know that's a lie :wink: ).

Initial thoughts are 10l of juice, maybe some lactose to sweeten and pitch some yeast (and nutrient from old kit yeasts) Doesn't get any simpler than that.

I had planned on using a satchet of US-05 from the fridge, but the heat pad I use to control temp, (still haven't bought a temp controller and ferment fridge), is sitting under a stout at 18deg for the next couple of weeks. So I thought I might try some S-23.

Thoughts anyone?

12deg is easily maintained sitting on the bench in the shed at present.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Re: Lager yeast for Cider?

Postby Oliver » Thursday Jun 27, 2013 9:53 pm

From a completely uninformed and perhaps simplistic point of view (and on the understanding that I have had quite a few beers tonight), I would question whether this will make much of a difference.

There's not the mix of complex and simple sugars in juice that you'd find in wort, so the residual sugar question when it comes to ale v lager yeast is not really a consideration. I don't think.

Perhaps the perry using S-23 would be a little cleaner than one using US-05, but the latter is a pretty clean-fermenting yeast anyway.

My feeling: do it.

Of course, I could be talking out my arse, in which case I hope someone will correct me.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Planner » Friday Jun 28, 2013 10:58 am

Oliver wrote:My feeling: do it.

Of course, I could be talking out my arse, in which case I hope someone will correct me.

Thanks Oliver

Last night (after quite a few beers) I did put it down. My thoughts were "What's the worst that can happen? I'll make some form of drink :) "

As stated earlier, impatience was the main reason for using the Saflager, I couldn't wait for the heatpad to be free for use with an ale yeast.

Not much action when I looked earlier today, with just some condensation on the cling film to hint that it had kicked off. Will report back in a few weeks when I bottle.

Planner
Planner

Postby Planner » Wednesday Jul 31, 2013 9:16 am

Recipe:

10l SPC pear juice
500g lactose
Coopers kit yeast boiled in 2l to dissolve lactose
Topped up to 1045 OG (17l)
Saflager S-23

This bubbled away slowly for 2 weeks at 12deg before stopping at 1020.
So I stirred and raised temp to 18deg, no further movement. After another week I stirred again and pitched a wine yeast (SN9). It dropped to 1018 but has sat there for another week with no further action.

I've never done an all-juice cider or perry (always used kits), but I was expecting FG of 1005 or lower.
The SPC juice is a very thick juice, in a glass you can't see through it and a straw will stand in it if its really cold. Is it possible that other suspended solids are affecting FG and all sugars have been gobbled up?

The taste is not overly sweet, about where I expected for 500g of lactose in a 17l brew. My thoughts are that it's finished.

Planner
Planner

Postby rotten » Wednesday Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

My 2c, it's finished. If you're adding lactose you obviously don't want it dry anyway. Stupid question, does the lactose ferment out completely anyway? Never used it so don't know.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby Planner » Wednesday Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm

rotten wrote:My 2c, it's finished. If you're adding lactose you obviously don't want it dry anyway. Stupid question, does the lactose ferment out completely anyway? Never used it so don't know.

Thanks Rotten

Correct, I didn't want it too dry (will be shared with SWMBO). The lactose doesn't fully ferment, leaving behind some sweetness. I've used lactose in all ciders and now this perry, except for version 1 which was too dry.

Planner
Planner

Postby builttolast » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 1:48 am

Hi guys. I'm new on the block and reading your posts with great interest. Also quite new at brewing so I'm sure that I have a lot of catching up to do.
To Planner! You make reference to cling film. Are you NOT using an airlock on your cider?
builttolast.
builttolast

Postby Pogierob » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 7:59 am

A lot of people ( myself included now too) don't use the airlock any more

Ditch the lid and cover your fermenter with glad wrap. Use the rubber ring from the lid to hold the glad wrap on.

Photo as example.

Pogierob

Postby builttolast » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks for that Pogierob going to remove lid from my cider straight away.
builttolast

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 5:05 pm

+ 1 Pogierob.

builttolast,
If the cider is fermenting right now, I would leave the lid and airlock on for this brew.
Go the glad wrap on your next brews !
It makes life a bit easier, you will love it !
CrookedFingers

Postby builttolast » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Caught me in time. Have run out of cling wrap. Thanks a heap! There is no movement in the fermenter as yet! It's been about 30 hours and I'm thinking it may be the "cider yeast" purchased for the job. I opened it to do a trial in a 2 ltr flagon and stored it in the fridge for a week. Maybe that was a bit sloppy. What do you reckon??
builttolast

Postby builttolast » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 7:34 pm

About the cling wrap - Do you also use it when you are making beer?
builttolast

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah man, I guess whenever you have something in the fermenter.
CrookedFingers

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Nov 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Also, as far as removing some and creating your 2L tester goes.
I have never done that, others may have. As long as you were sanitary in your practices I suppose you will be ok ? !

Good luck.
CrookedFingers

Postby builttolast » Monday Nov 25, 2013 10:29 am

It's all good now,started bubbling a couple of hours ago.
Many thanks!
builttolast

Postby CrookedFingers » Tuesday Nov 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Gold stuff !
CrookedFingers

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .