Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Postby DavidP » Thursday Mar 08, 2007 8:01 pm

good stuff! thanks rwh!
I don't have a clue about the makings of malt! Good news that is! I've got a never ending supply of free malt for myself!
DavidP

Postby yardglass » Friday Mar 09, 2007 9:23 am

DavidP wrote:A great recipe Yardglass!!
I did your recipe with the brigalow kit with extra fresh ginger.....but didn't prime with ginger cordial and didn't put ginger pieces in the bottle when bottling and I found it to be a little lacking in ginger(for my taste).
so I'm going to do the same recipe with a morgans kit and I think that will be spot on for me!

I'm considering adding a bit of malt to my next attempt.

I work in a bakery so we have large amounts of malt available.
I believe the malt is from barley? does anyone have any idea on how well that ferments and weather that kind of malt would be any good in a ginger beer?

Thanks Dave,
I've used 500gm of DME in a GB with good results, make sure you use the Champagne Yeast though and give it a good two weeks to ferment.
btw, Brown Sugar (500gm) and Honey (500ml) go well with the malt in a GB.

Cheers

Yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby drsmurto » Friday Mar 09, 2007 9:39 am

Mmmmm. Lots of ideas to tweak my GB. Mine is a bit thin, only use raw sugar so some malt, brown sugar and honey all seem good additions altho my flavour is near perfect, i just need a bit more body and sweetness. The champagne yeast leaves it a tad too dry but then i do leave it to ferment for 3-4 weeks! FG 1.000 so not a lot of sweetness left :D .
drsmurto

Postby DavidP » Friday Mar 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Yardglass
I asked for Champagne yeast at my home brew shop and they were out so they sold me some Oztops 1. From my reading I think it's a wine yeast? which must be fairly similar?
I've used it in my cider and that is still fermenting almost a month later!
Do you think Oztops 1 will be ok in the ginger beer?
I like the sound of extra Brown Sugar, Honey and Malt in a Ginger beer!
I can't wait for this Cider to finish!!!
DavidP

Re: Ginger Beer

Postby yardglass » Friday Mar 09, 2007 7:35 pm

Dave,
Can't say as I've ever heard of 'Oztops' yeasts but that's not saying much either, if you have trouble sourcing them in future you could try online with Ross @ Craftbrewer, no affiliation just good products and service.

i think i posted this elsewhere but here is the latest GB.
GINGER BEER

Search for "Alcoholic GB for the Girls", imho it's the best GB i've made to date, i've been bottling from the Keg into Coopers PET and keeping them in camp for upto 2 weeks, mates have offered to pay for all the ingredients if I'll put one down for them, let us know how that Cider goes, havn't done one yet.

cheers

Yardy

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby Longrasser » Friday Mar 16, 2007 9:22 am

GB/Ale mix been bottled 3 months
gave it a taste test 3 mates reckoned it was Bundy and coke :shock:
Longrasser

Postby Tadge » Friday Mar 30, 2007 6:52 pm

Gday Longrasser, Have you tried the T.U.B.S Ginger beer kit?

If so Waddya think

Tadge
Tadge

Postby corks » Wednesday May 23, 2007 3:42 pm

does Yard's recipe need yeast nutrient? and if so what can i use that i dont have to drive 20 mins to get?
corks

Postby rwh » Wednesday May 23, 2007 4:23 pm

You can use an old sachet of yeast, even bread yeast would work. Just add it at the end of the boil.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday May 25, 2007 7:18 am

This is one of the longest living threads I have ever seen. Yardie was about 5 minutes old when he started this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry folks, just having a wander down memory lane, its that growing old thing :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby corks » Monday May 28, 2007 5:23 am

im wondering if racking would be a good idea....so great having a few fermenters. love it. and perhaps, if its not gingery enough, i could add some more grated to the secondary....and maybe some honey...and so on and so forth.

dam imagination.
corks

Postby yardglass » Thursday Jun 07, 2007 4:32 pm

corks wrote:does Yard's recipe need yeast nutrient? and if so what can i use that i dont have to drive 20 mins to get?

is that the original recipe or the updated one found a page or two back ?

the latest is an outstanding drop imho, i could go into production with the amount of requests i get after a taste.

bloody freeloaders :twisted: :lol:

Yard

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby yardglass » Thursday Jun 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Dogger Dan wrote:This is one of the longest living threads I have ever seen. Yardie was about 5 minutes old when he started this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry folks, just having a wander down memory lane, its that growing old thing :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Dogger

your brain was picked a bit for the original recipe. you're a lot older than me though :lol: :wink:

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby corks » Wednesday Jul 11, 2007 12:51 pm

well its bottled now. tasted dam good straight out of the fermenter too. sure got me hammered. i think i added an extra kilo or so of dextrose to it when i brewed, i was kinda drunk at the time so i dont remember.
corks

Postby Tom » Sunday Aug 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Yardglass,

Thanks for the GB recipe. I've made a batch using the version you posted on the Brodie's Castle Brewing forum (link), but after two months in the bottle, it still has a really overpowering artificial sweetener taste.

Dunno if it's relevant, but my LHBS didn't have the cuvee yeast you suggested, so I used a generic white wine yeast instead. Do you reckon it'll go away? Or if it's still there after two months, am I stuck with it? Anyone else had it hanging around for longer than a couple of weeks?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom

Postby yardglass » Sunday Aug 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Tom,

Reply at BCB.

Cheers

Yard

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .