Weird idea - alcoholic Sars

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Weird idea - alcoholic Sars

Postby Ash » Sunday Jun 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Hey guys,

I've seen kits for alcoholic ginger ale & lemonade, but I really like sars soft drink/cordial

can I simply chuck in a cordial concentrate, the right amount of water, a pile of dex & then some sort of yeast & make alcoholic sars soft drink?

What yeast would you use for this sort of idea?

Cheers
Ash
Ash

Postby blandy » Monday Jun 26, 2006 8:15 am

Hi Ash,

Just remember that the cordial stuff will have fermentable sugars in it, so when it is fermented, it will loose its sweetness. If you want to add more sweetness, use lactose, because this does not ferment. You may also want to add some more glucose or malt to bump up the alcohol or get the fermentation going niceley.

As for yeast, I used Safale yeast for my ginger beer I made a couple of weeks ago. That seemed to work well.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Iron-Haggis » Monday Jun 26, 2006 11:06 am

I'm pretty sure that the Sars you would buy from the supermarkets would all contain artificial preservatives which will kill the yeast.
Punk in Drublic
Iron-Haggis

Postby Ash » Monday Jun 26, 2006 4:55 pm

ahh, good point Iron-Haggis - have to read up on whats in it I guess.

I asked if they made a kit at a local HBS & they looked at me like I was nuts - well I am but that's a different story
Ash

Postby steveo » Tuesday Jun 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi Ash,

They have Sars in my local HBS! Have only had it a couple, maybe 3 months. So it is around and available. Haven't tried it yet, but I will soon I think. It's in a purple & white cardboard 'tin'.

I read a story on the internet a few years ago about a guy who tried to make green cordial alcoholic, tried & tried but gave up, wouldn't ferment, assumed it was the preservative.

Steve
Steve no function beer well without
steveo

Postby cavanor » Tuesday Jun 27, 2006 5:47 pm

my homebrew shop stocked the sars up until a few months ago, I asked about it and he said they dont make it anymore, supposedly us queenslanders were the only people who drank it and it just wasnt a popular enough line for the manufacturer.
cavanor

Postby Rubber.Piggy » Friday Jun 30, 2006 9:29 am

do a web search for 'root beer' and look for the alcoholic recipes based around sarsaparilla root. You can get this here if you look, else you can get a sarsaparilla plant (there are two varieties of the smilax genus available) and grow your own.

EDIT: spelling :p
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
Rubber.Piggy

Postby DarkFaerytale » Friday Jun 30, 2006 10:23 am

hey steveo, which home brew shop is that? i'm kinda near you, would not mind trying out the alco sars

-Phill
DarkFaerytale

Postby 111222333 » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 12:01 pm

dude, if you really want alc. sars, make an alcohol base of maybe 7% using just dex and water and a lager or even wine yeast. then add the sars to the base like normally making the cordial and bottle, or even just bottle the alc base, and carbonate, then add the sars when drinking. it probably wont be fizzy if it goes in the bottle, but it'll work easy enough.
Keep it reel Image

Postby Oliver » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Ash,

Do a search for the word cordial. This has been discussed before and the consensus was that it wouldn't work.

This post may be of most use: http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=815

Sorry!

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby steveo » Saturday Jul 01, 2006 6:27 pm

DarkFaerytale wrote:hey steveo, which home brew shop is that? i'm kinda near you, would not mind trying out the alco sars

-Phill

Bayside Hydroponics & Homebrew in Seaford, 2/8 Rutherford Rd.
Steve no function beer well without
steveo

Postby Krusty » Sunday Jul 02, 2006 11:05 pm

I was in Bendigo yesterday and saw they had sarsaparilla home brew kits for sale there. They were in a purple cardboard package also.
This is Homebrew country, Piss On or Piss Off!
:P :P
Krusty

Postby DarkFaerytale » Tuesday Jul 04, 2006 7:40 am

thank you steveo
DarkFaerytale

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jul 24, 2006 10:50 am

There is actually a Hbs in the usa selling essences for different types of sodas including cola, sars, creaming soda, rasberry and so on the place is called the beverage people and there service and prices are fantastic.
I ordered some cola ( which u can make alco or not ) and it was deliverd to my door in bout 5 days

http://www.thebeveragepeople.com
lethaldog

Postby Starganderfish » Saturday Sep 09, 2006 5:29 pm

I'd be interested in hearing how this went? I've been lookingto make an alcoholic sars for a while now. Did heaps of research on the net about ingredients, found an online herb store and bought various ingredients (Sarsaparilla , sassafras, wintergreen) and they are currently sitting in my kitchen cupboard. I haven't been brave enough to actually make a brew but will one day.
Probably use a Ginger Beer kit as a base...I just haven't had the spare brewing capacity to do it. (don't want to lose a weeks production producing something that may {read probably} turn out horrible.)
I was once told that it's better to live one day as a lion than an entire lifetime as a mouse... but who-ever heard of a mouse-skin rug?!?
Starganderfish

Re: Weird idea - alcoholic Sars

Postby matt » Saturday Oct 11, 2008 1:10 pm

hey could someone point me in the direction of a website that sells [preferably in Australia] sarsaparilla, sasaffras and wintergreen spices/extracts?

found this recipe on BYO and interested in giving it a go:
http://byo.com/recipe/312.html
matt

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .