Brigalow cider Question.

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Brigalow cider Question.

Postby atropine » Sunday Nov 05, 2006 9:40 pm

Hi,

Most cider questions seem to relate to ciders not being sweet enough and how to sweeten them, but with brigalow cider they have their own cheap artificial sweeter in them.

Has anyone that's made this found it to be too dry, and if you did, was it the basic kit brew or did you add a quantity of stuff?

I'm using the basic kit plus I chucked in 2 litres of apple juice - made to the 18 litres it suggests on can. Not sure weather I should sweeten it or just leave it alone.
atropine

Postby beerman » Saturday Nov 11, 2006 2:15 pm

hey atropine

sorry if this is too late and you already made it but...
i made brigalow cider with:

Brigalow apple cider can
2L apple juice
1kg dextrose
around 200-300g white sugar (i only added this because when i opened the can some of it spilled on the outside of the fermenter :shock: so i just poured in some white sugar straight out of the packet to make up for it. didnt measure it exactly which is why i say "around")
Made to 18L

In answer to your question i did find it to be fairly dry but this was my first cider and i dont drink commercial ciders that often so i dont have much to compare it to (only strongbow sweet). I also found it lacked body compared to beer. I have only tasted one bottle and that was after 3 weeks so i'm hoping it will improve with age.
beerman

Postby atropine » Saturday Nov 11, 2006 7:33 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I"d say my cider has finished fermenting, but i'm going to try leaving it sit there for another week to see if I can condition it in the fermenter.

Your brew is so similar except for the 200grams extra sugar I reckon that mine too will probably seem not sweet enough. I"M not a cider drinker so would probably prefer it to be sweeter. I may do an experiment with adding splenda (sucralose) to the bottles at the rate of 1 tablet per 375ml and see how that goes. may be 1/2 the bottles with sweetner the others i'll leave a lone.
atropine

Postby Lord Azrael » Saturday Nov 11, 2006 8:54 pm

atropine wrote:I may do an experiment with adding splenda (sucralose) to the bottles at the rate of 1 tablet per 375ml and see how that goes. may be 1/2 the bottles with sweetner the others i'll leave a lone.

Sounds like a brilliant idea, please keep us informed on how this goes...

would be nice to do a comparison using splenda tablets against lactose too (anyone interested?)
I never said i didn't like kids, I just can't eat a whole one :D

Az
Lord Azrael

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .