cant find champagne yeast

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

cant find champagne yeast

Postby jase » Monday Nov 06, 2006 2:28 pm

my local brew shop has just started stocking and is having trouble getting me champagne yeast can anyone give me details of the supplier/name of product(UC1?)etc..Also is it that much better or will a lager yeast do the same job?
jase

Postby rwh » Monday Nov 06, 2006 3:14 pm

Champagne yeast is significantly different to ale yeast which is significantly different to lager yeast which is significantly different to bread yeast. ;)

I did a raspberry lemonade, and no other yeast I pitched would ferment. Went to the local HBS, which just happens to be wine focussed, and they gave me a champagne yeast which fermented like a champ. Not until I'd pitched some yeast slurry from a batch of beer, which has imparted a disconcerting hop fragrance to my otherwise nice lemonade. :cry:

The yeast I used was EC-1118, whatever that is.
w00t!
rwh

Postby jase » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 12:27 am

thanks rwh I passed on u-118 and had no listing for it but they are on the job.will the yeast that comes in the brigalow kit be enough to chew away at extra ingrediants like ginger chips,cloves,apples etc...or at what point does a brew need another sachet?
jase

Postby Chris » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 11:30 am

If you can't get champagne yeast, just use wine yeast- it works just as well. I like the Lalvin.
Chris

Postby rwh » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 12:21 pm

The EC-1118 is a Lavlin yeast. It's for champagne and white wine. Available from Grain and Grape. They do mail orders.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Chris » Thursday Nov 09, 2006 11:26 am

That's the yeast I use for my lemonade/lemonwine. Great dry flavour- very high attenuation.
Chris

Postby drsmurto » Monday Nov 27, 2006 8:48 am

Jase

Where in Oz are you?

The Jovial Monk brewshop in Unley, Adelaide has an awesome selection of yeasts, including the EC-1118(?) champagne yeast which i just used in my GB on the weekend :D

If you update your profile ppl will know where you live and can suggest a homebrew shop accordingly. Loads of good people on this site will so much useful info!

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .