Toxic Cider

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Toxic Cider

Postby Lord Azrael » Wednesday Nov 15, 2006 6:59 pm

Well i wanted something strong and just going off the original gravity (1.070 :shock: :shock: :shock: ) strong is what i'm gunna get!

Recipe

16L Juice Stop Juice (12L Apple, 4L Apple and Pear)
1kg Dextrose
500g Lactose
Nutrient
Wine Yeast (Couldn't get champaigne yeast :evil: )
2L Water to boil the sugars

Now i know the lactose will push the SG up a fair bit... but still looks like i'm in for something potent
I never said i didn't like kids, I just can't eat a whole one :D

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby Chris » Thursday Nov 16, 2006 12:44 pm

I tend to add the lactose at bulk priming time. It means you can add to taste.
Chris

Postby Lord Azrael » Thursday Nov 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Too late now :P but the SG test tastes nice LOL

Was getting worried, been over 12 hours and no bubbling in the fermenter, but when i checked the SG the lock showed that air is getting in somewhere else (chamber emptied when tap was on, but when i turned it back off the chamber refilled rather quickly... more than what it would during normal fermentation... damn cooper fermentation lock) Anyways i yanked the lock out and put some electrical tape around it to seal it better... now things are looking up again. And SG is dropping which means it's working too.

Az
Lord Azrael

Re: Toxic Cider

Postby atropine » Thursday Nov 16, 2006 10:26 pm

I don't think that'll have a really huge alcohol concentration , the 16litres of juice will provide about 1.6kg of sugar, so your total fermentable sugars are 2.6kg's

Are you using a kit as well?
atropine

Postby Lord Azrael » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 10:03 am

nope. no kit, just juice... maybe i got a false SG reading to start off with, ahh well, just means i'll have to drink 2 bottles instead if its weaker LOL

So is there any way to check to alcohol content after it's done fermenting or am i going to have to just do it by taste?

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby Lord Azrael » Monday Nov 20, 2006 8:21 pm

1.020 so far and still going!

Now a question for anyone thats done a similar cider... i started off (using above mentioned ingredients) with a nice clear mix... now it's gone cloudy, is this just the process of fermentation or have i gotten something wrong? it's aslo developed an almost sour taste (which i dont mind... it actually still taste pretty damn good) is this to also normal???

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Dec 05, 2006 12:55 pm

Lord

Hows the cider coming along? Have been meaning to do a cider and am thinking of following the toxic way - 'cept i have a lovely juicing machine and will do all apples.

Am guessing it should be bottled by now? Any tastings to make us all salivate?

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Lord Azrael » Thursday Dec 07, 2006 3:45 pm

Yeah sorry about that, move house and had no net for a week... all bottled up and almost ready for a tester... might give one a try tonight actually :P Put it into 15 grolsch bottles for storage till my birthday or even next xmas and the rest i just whacked into pet bottles cause i can guarentee they aint going to last more than a month :D i left it in the fermenter for about 10-12 days (alot happened during that time which kinda made me loose a few days) hoping that it would clear enough to bottle before moving... but anfter waiting an extra 2 days to see if there was any noticable clearing it was still rather cloudy, so i bottled it anyways.....then the next day it was nearly cyrstal clear in the bottle with a shit load of sediment :evil: :evil: :evil: anyways will head off now and put one in the fridge for tonight and will let you know (provided it doesn't get me absolutly hammered) tonight how it tastes... cyas

Az
Lord Azrael

Postby Lord Azrael » Thursday Dec 07, 2006 7:01 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: maybe i should rename it to apple wine... very strong and tastes alot like a wine. no9t i gotta wait for it to carbonate properly hehehehe

Az
Lord Azrael

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .