Corn Syrup ???

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Corn Syrup ???

Postby Bob, The Cat » Friday Jan 05, 2007 6:10 am

Long time reader, First time submitter..

I have put down my 4th brew last weekend (Black Rock Cider) and due to the previous effort with one of these that i found rather weak and flat, i tried to boost the flavour by making to 18L instead of 23L (hopefully that will work), but to improve the head i tried to use Corn Syrup (as suggested on the ingredients fact sheet).
Now my question is: Is Glucose syrup (made from corn) bought at Woollies the same thing or did i just stuff the whole thing up.
One Positive is tha the brew has been VERY active, much more so than any others i have put down.
Bob, The Cat

Postby OldBugman » Friday Jan 05, 2007 8:50 am

Corn Syrup is the name given to Maltodextrin
OldBugman

Postby Bob, The Cat » Friday Jan 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for that, i am assuming you can't just get that from the local woolworths :cry: .
Do you know if Glucose syrup - made from corn (clear, VERY viscous) is the same thing, or would do the same thing?

ps. It was located in the baking section of the supermarket
Bob, The Cat

Postby velophile » Friday Jan 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Hey Mr Cat, post the actual ingredients & amounts you used.
It sounds like the glucose syrup may work OK. Not great but OK.
Let it ferment out & see. :)
Ride, Drink, Repeat.
velophile

Postby Bob, The Cat » Friday Jan 05, 2007 2:21 pm

1 x Blackrock kit
1kg Dex
18L Water instead of 23
~100ml of Glucose (Corn?) syrup

bubbled like a trooper

hope it works out. If it doesnt taste any good beore i bottle should i toss it ?
Bob, The Cat

Postby buscador » Friday Jan 05, 2007 2:23 pm

going out on limb as i am new here too
but dont throw it out

someone else, help this cat out...

b
You had me at dry hopping.
buscador

Postby KEG » Friday Jan 05, 2007 3:07 pm

it should be fine, at least as good as a standard kit+kilo, probably better. making it to 18L instead of 23L leaves more body from the malt extract in the premixed can anyway (which helps the head). corn syrup is pretty much glucose with possibly some maltose according to this site:
corn syrup :
Basically glucose with water. May have maltose. Beware about buying the typical grocery store version because it _might_ have some vanillin/vanilla as a flavoring. Additionally, some brands have a preservative that could affect fermentation. Dark corn syrup is just the regular syrup with some coloring. Use wherever you would use straight glucose/dextrose such as priming.

glucose is 100% fermentable, so is maltose (as opposed to maltodextrin), so you won't have added any head rentention or body to the beer with the glucose. on the other hand, you definitely won't have done any harm, so don't throw it out!

when it comes to priming, instead of using dextrose or carbonation drops, use light dry malt - that'll help with the head a bit.
KEG

Postby drsmurto » Friday Jan 05, 2007 3:17 pm

What is in the cider kit? Is it apple concentrate and artificial sugar or does it actually have something worth money - ie. malt? The ginger beer kits are simply ginger flavour and artificial sweetener.......
drsmurto

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Thursday Mar 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I just bought a Black Rock cider kit, and it says all it has is concentrated apple juice and yeast.

No mention of anything else - I hope this is true, because my partner is hoping to drink this, and she is a coeliac (ie, gluten-free diet), so can't have malts.
dragonphoenix73

Postby rwh » Friday Mar 16, 2007 12:43 am

It's true. The black rock is the only kit that is just apple juice concentrate.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday Mar 16, 2007 8:06 am

WIKI, PEOPLE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose

2 second search...

Dextrose is an ingredient in Glucose, thereos also maltose and dextrins in there. It's 100% fermentable. It's got similar properties (as far as brewing goes) to dextrose, not maltodextrin which is dried corn syrup.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Friday Mar 16, 2007 10:25 am

Er, hang on. Dextrose is just another name for Glucose. If I remember correctly it's called this because it's a shortening of Dextrose Monohydrate, meaning that in its crystalline form, for every two glucose molecules there is a water molecule incorporated in the lattice. You can actually get anhydrous glucose as well, which has had the water molecule removed, and it has 110% the amount of fermentable sugars in it by weight as compared with Dextrose Monohydrate.

As for maltose and dextrins, there should be almost none present in dextrose powder, other than impurities left over because the purification process won't be 100% effective.

Maltodextrin is made up of a mix of different dextrins, being different length carbohydrates. About 30% of maltodextrin is fermentable, the rest is long chain carbohydrates that contribute to mouthfeel, but if overused can contribute to a soapy taste/feel.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Friday Mar 16, 2007 11:32 am

rwh wrote:Er, hang on. Dextrose is just another name for Glucose. If I remember correctly it's called this because it's a shortening of Dextrose Monohydrate, meaning that in its crystalline form, for every two glucose molecules there is a water molecule incorporated in the lattice. You can actually get anhydrous glucose as well, which has had the water molecule removed, and it has 110% the amount of fermentable sugars in it by weight as compared with Dextrose Monohydrate.

As for maltose and dextrins, there should be almost none present in dextrose powder, other than impurities left over because the purification process won't be 100% effective.

Maltodextrin is made up of a mix of different dextrins, being different length carbohydrates. About 30% of maltodextrin is fermentable, the rest is long chain carbohydrates that contribute to mouthfeel, but if overused can contribute to a soapy taste/feel.

I believe D-Glucose is a synonym for dextrose but Glucose is a compound which can include dextrose and other sugars.

glu·cose (glū'kōs') pronunciation
n.

1. A monosaccharide sugar, C6H12O6, occurring widely in most plant and animal tissue. It is the principal circulating sugar in the blood and the major energy source of the body.
2. A colorless to yellowish syrupy mixture of dextrose, maltose, and dextrins containing about 20 percent water, used in confectionery, alcoholic fermentation, tanning, and treating tobacco. Also called starch syrup.

[French, from Greek glukus, sweet.]
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby dragonphoenix73 » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Just out of interest....

....how much corn syrup/maltodextrin should one add in a brew to get a nice head and body to it?

:roll:
dragonphoenix73

Postby Pale_Ale » Sunday Mar 18, 2007 10:58 am

I tend not to use it preferring all-malt but I wouldn't exceed 250g as a general rule. I'm sure there's differing opinions though.
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Monday Mar 19, 2007 10:24 am

Yeah, 250g is a decent limit, too much and you can begin to taste it, and it can also lead to a soapy mouthfeel.

I've completely replaced it with specialty grains (Crystal and Carapils mostly), as they do the same job, but taste good too.
w00t!
rwh

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .