What will this come out like?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

What will this come out like?

Postby Matt Wilbur » Monday Jan 15, 2007 8:41 pm

2 tins of Brigalow apple cider
750g Dextrose
250g Lactose
Yeast/nutrient that came with the kits

The Brigalow says to fill up to 18 for 1 can. I filled the two cans up to 26L.

Just wondering what the popular opinion is as to how it will turn out. Im not expecting too much, but I dont mind the taste of cider for a change.

Cheers.
You deserve a cascade draught.
Matt Wilbur

Postby N.C. » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 8:20 am

The Brigalow can says 22L, I thought... 4L on the boil with sugar, and 18L cold added later...

I reckon it'll be fine with 26L but not very high alc. volume. The lactose will sweeten, but should not ferment out.

The cans are full of artificial sugars, so using two cans you might end up with a cider that tastes a bit like a "diet" cider...

Let us know how it goes.
N.C.

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 8:54 am

2 tins of artificial sweetener and lactose? That is going to be very very sweet and i would think the artificial sugar taste many people describe will take months to dissipate.

Does the cider kit contain any fermentables? I thought it was like the ginger beer kits, full of flavour extracts and artificial sweeteners. If thats the case, your alc % will be a lowly 2.1%.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Matt Wilbur » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 9:53 am

The main ingredients on the can are (reconstituted) apple juice and malt. Then there are flavours and sweeteners.

The can says to add 14 L of water to make 18 L.
You deserve a cascade draught.
Matt Wilbur

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 10:04 am

Ok, so the malt will bump up the alc %. So you should get a stronger appley flavour but still think it will be incredibly sweet, syrup.
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .