Alcoholic Sarsaparilla

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Alcoholic Sarsaparilla

Postby AlcoMoo » Saturday Mar 24, 2007 2:30 pm

I have just made my first batch of alcoholic sarsaprilla. I used the Old Fashioned brand (purple and white cardboard tin). My SG was 1.016. If it finishes where the labels says it should, I will get an expected Alc% of 0.5% Ha ha ha.....

Hope it tastes good, because brewing it for its alcoholic nature is a bit of a bust!!!
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. (Ernest Hemingway)
AlcoMoo

Postby drtom » Sunday Mar 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Well, if you want the alcohol, you could always add some dex next time (e.g. 1kg).

T.
drtom

Postby AlcoMoo » Sunday Mar 25, 2007 10:38 pm

I did!! 1kg of it. I just went and checked it, and absolutely nothing is happening through the air lock. I think I will definately have to rely on hydro measures for this one!!!!
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools. (Ernest Hemingway)
AlcoMoo

Postby shamus2 » Monday Mar 26, 2007 10:58 am

where did you get it from and whats the expiry date? I heard that it hasn't been made for years becasue noone was buying it?
shamus2

Postby DougFiasco » Monday Apr 09, 2007 1:08 pm

I brewed a batch of that. I opnly bottled half of it cause I could smell sulphur and didn't want to waste bottles on an infected batch.

I think I can still detect sulphur. But my girlfriend likes it. And most other people don't notice the "sulphur".

From memory, the SG readings were pretty low for it. The only thing making it denser is the Kg of Dextrose you add. So you have a pretty low OG.

I've heard they don't make it anymore.
DougFiasco

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .