Brewing BERRI fruit Juice...

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Re: Brewing BERRI fruit Juice...

Postby Bizier » Monday Sep 01, 2008 1:48 pm

I tried a couple of mouthfuls before throwing out when moving house, had moved bottling gear already, so no bottles.
Not as good as it could have been.
Not as bad as it could have been.

I don't know about the grand title of 'drinkable' though.

Dan
Bizier

Postby bensfarm » Sunday Sep 14, 2008 6:46 pm

went shopping with the missus yester day bought 6 x 2.4 berri apple pear.threw them in the fermenter with the oztops 2 yeast,going to bottle after 2 weeks with a bit of sugar ,dont mind a dry cyder
bensfarm

Postby bensfarm » Sunday Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm

tried some today a little flat but good...
bensfarm

Postby Screamin TE » Friday Feb 27, 2009 11:27 am

if you didnt want to make up say 5-10 litres of the stuff, could you modify the lid of a 2l bottle to take a grommet and airlock and just add the yeast to the bottle with a bit more sugar to keep the sweetness in it?

What would be the best yeast to use? Would like to give this a go, but dont want to go all out and jigger it up y'know?
Screamin TE

Postby Bizier » Friday Feb 27, 2009 11:29 am

Look at OZTOPS
http://www.oztops.com.au/

Extra sugar just makes rocket fuel, not sweeter cider.
Bizier

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 04, 2013 9:21 pm

drsmurto wrote:... went to a grafting info session to work out how i could swap my 3 apple trees over to cider production. They are approx 100 years old and are cooking type apples. To my surprise the mob running it have more than 200 apple varieties for sale including several french cider apples!

Hey Doc,

I saw you were online and happened to be reading this post at the time so I thought I'd ask: did you go ahead with the grafting and if so, how did it go?

Oliver

Edit/PS: When I was at high school at Urrbrae we used to practice grafting on a big old apple tree that students had been practicing on for decades. There were grafts upon grafts upon grafts. The tree seemed happy enough though, even though most of it was probably not original.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby drsmurto » Saturday Jan 05, 2013 9:47 pm

No, grafts didn't take very well. Some did but in the end I gave up and cut the trees down. Replaced them with 2 cherries, a peach, a mulberry and a bay.

Picked over 4 kg of cherries this year, peach tree is loaded and the mulberry is slowly getting there. Bay tree is crazy, love fresh bay leaves for cooking.

Some regrets on cutting down the apple trees but they were massive. Will source apples this season for a go at a breton cider.
drsmurto

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .