Brigalow K & K

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Brigalow K & K

Postby Jedo_03 » Monday Jul 02, 2007 8:58 pm

Recent newbie to the forum - old school
Have brewed a good few Brigalow ciders - always used white sugar and the brigalow yeast and nutrient - always turned out to our satisfaction (apart from the May 07 brew which didn't have much of a chance at secondary as the weather turned cold in June - drinkable though...)
Anyways (might as well be Modern, Ey...) Just put on a Brigalows using 1kg Brewiser Dextrose, 2L Berri Apple Juice, 2 large G Smith apples (peeled and quartered - though I don't know why - see my previous post, Zider)... Now the missus is grumbling a bit: the Brigalows was $5.99, Dextrose $3.50, Apple Juice $4.69, G Smiths $1.70 - and by her reckoning that's $8.79 DEARER than our normal brew ($6.99) - so it's to be hoped that this brew will be 150% superior to the stuff we usually quaff...
We'll have to wait and see... Ey...
cheers
Jedo
Jedo_03

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 02, 2007 9:58 pm

The relationship between price/effort and quality isn't linear; it's exponential. Just like anything in life.
w00t!
rwh

thats cheap

Postby gazpachos0up » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 6:34 am

where do you get cider kits for 5.99, thats a bargain even if it is brigalow.
gazpachos0up

Postby Chris » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 10:07 am

Yes, but it's still Brigalow...
Chris

Postby gazpachos0up » Monday Jul 30, 2007 8:23 pm

Yes but its still cheap, you can make them better you know. For a cheap girly brew
gazpachos0up

Postby scanman » Monday Jul 30, 2007 9:30 pm

When you go against the price of a case of the commercial stuff, like Bulmers Strongbow, its dirt cheap! :)

Davo
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jul 31, 2007 10:40 am

Its been a while since i had a good whinge about artificial sweeteners......

Cider kit is $6 on sale, all that provides is a subtle ginger taste and a dumpload of artificial sweetner.

I use 1 kg of fresh ginger when making GB, can get that for $10 from an asian grocery store.

If you must add a sweetner, use lactose if you arent lactose intolerant, or buy yourself a jar of Splenda.

Slightly more expensive than when its on sale but you are ahead when its not.

Or make a plant as has been discussed recently.

Rant over.

DrSMurto :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Chris » Friday Aug 03, 2007 8:16 am

Stevia would be better than Splenda if trying to avoid that artificial sweetener taste.
Chris

Postby Jedo_03 » Sunday Aug 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Concerning my previous post - enhanced Brigalows...
Well brewed ok...
Cloudy as The Lake District in June
Bottled it anyway...
5 weeks now - and still cant see daylight through the murky liquor
Worse still - next brew cawked it - looked like the surface of the moon after just 3 days... Damn raw apples...
Jedo

Recent newbie to the forum - old school
Have brewed a good few Brigalow ciders - always used white sugar and the brigalow yeast and nutrient - always turned out to our satisfaction (apart from the May 07 brew which didn't have much of a chance at secondary as the weather turned cold in June - drinkable though...)
Anyways (might as well be Modern, Ey...) Just put on a Brigalows using 1kg Brewiser Dextrose, 2L Berri Apple Juice, 2 large G Smith apples (peeled and quartered - though I don't know why - see my previous post, Zider)... Now the missus is grumbling a bit: the Brigalows was $5.99, Dextrose $3.50, Apple Juice $4.69, G Smiths $1.70 - and by her reckoning that's $8.79 DEARER than our normal brew ($6.99) - so it's to be hoped that this brew will be 150% superior to the stuff we usually quaff...
We'll have to wait and see... Ey...
cheers
Jedo
Jedo_03

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .