Frothing Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Frothing Ginger Beer

Postby gazpachos0up » Monday Jul 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey all,

Got a coopers ginger beer going at the mo, in it is 500g brown sugar, 1 kg dextrose and about 400g of ginger (juice from) and dry hopped with 2 sticks of cinnamon. After 8 days of fermenting i found it to be krausening a bit, so i fitted a blow off tube, the next day the same thing so i opened the fermenter, bubbles everywhere.... So i removed the cinnamon (with a sanitised glove) stirred the bubbles into the brew and closed the lid. Next day its still doing it... It tastes really good, so i'm ruling out an infection.... Could it be a slight temp change or something.
I did use two packs of coopers yeast too... Cause i had them there.....

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. 8)
gazpachos0up

Postby Chris » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 10:10 am

You just had a vigorous fermentation, caused by happy yeast. You can't hope for more than that.

As for 'dry hopping' with cinnamon sticks, let me know how that turns out. I can't imagine that you would get much from them without a boil, so it would be good to get some feedback.
Chris

Postby geebz » Friday Jul 20, 2007 8:52 am

i made a apple cider and added one cinnamon stick that wasnt added to the boil and you can definantly taste it in the final product.
geebz

Postby Chris » Thursday Jul 26, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks for that geebz. I have a ginger at the moment- plenty of cinnamon in it, but might go the stick as well.
Chris

Postby gazpachos0up » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 8:15 pm

Chris wrote:You just had a vigorous fermentation, caused by happy yeast. You can't hope for more than that.

As for 'dry hopping' with cinnamon sticks, let me know how that turns out. I can't imagine that you would get much from them without a boil, so it would be good to get some feedback.

Tasting note: Honestly, I can't really taste the cinnamon. Still turned out great though, lil bit dry at first but still a nice drink
gazpachos0up

Postby scanman » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm doing a Tooheys Draught at the moment ( lawn mowing beer ) and chucked a couple of cinnamon sticks in as well, just to see how it turns out. If you do a search on spices in beer on this forum there is plenty of info.
I also have a ginger beer conditioning in bottles as well at the moment, which I used cinnamon and cloves, as well as fresh ginger in. Hopefully that will turn out nice too.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Re: Frothing Ginger Beer

Postby fuzzer6969 » Monday Oct 22, 2007 5:57 pm

i started a ginger beer 8 days ago and mine is also still bbbling after 8 days. i think i mgiht have tried to ferment too much and its sprting out throgh the airlock. I have had to continuously topping up the airlock with water and trying to flush out the gunk that is in the airlock from the fermenter. Does anyone kno0w if this is a problem?

My GB also seems to be tasting alittle soapy is this the preservatives or is this a sign of infection?
gazpachos0up wrote:Hey all,

Got a coopers ginger beer going at the mo, in it is 500g brown sugar, 1 kg dextrose and about 400g of ginger (juice from) and dry hopped with 2 sticks of cinnamon. After 8 days of fermenting i found it to be krausening a bit, so i fitted a blow off tube, the next day the same thing so i opened the fermenter, bubbles everywhere.... So i removed the cinnamon (with a sanitised glove) stirred the bubbles into the brew and closed the lid. Next day its still doing it... It tastes really good, so i'm ruling out an infection.... Could it be a slight temp change or something.
I did use two packs of coopers yeast too... Cause i had them there.....

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. 8)
fuzzer6969

Postby scanman » Monday Oct 22, 2007 7:32 pm

Sounds like a happy yeast to me still. After 8 days it shoudl be slowing down. If you have it on a heater then turn it off. Most areas now are copping warmer weather.

Chuck some cloves in as well. They also help with ginger beer.
scanman

Postby fuzzer6969 » Monday Oct 22, 2007 11:21 pm

so should i just chck a few into the fermenter? and how many do you guys think?
fuzzer6969

Postby Chris » Tuesday Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am

I'm not sure about just dumping them in. I've always boiled them.

You could compromise and make a 'clove tea' with some boiling water and add that.
Chris

Postby KEG » Tuesday Oct 23, 2007 10:51 am

smash them open with a rolling pin if you want to get more flavour out...
KEG

Postby scanman » Tuesday Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Rolling them out sounds like a good idea, but just chuck the cinnemon sticks into the fermenter. They are way to big to clog up the tap or sediment filters, and are easily removed if you rack.
scanman

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .