Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger Beer

Postby Thirsty » Friday Aug 17, 2007 1:23 pm

I need a good ginger beer (alcoholic) recipe for the wife.

No, the wife's not an alcoholic but I'm after an alcoholic ginger beer. I've used a Coopers before, but the artificial sweetener is a shocker.

Any ideas?
Thirsty Boy
Thirsty

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 17, 2007 1:28 pm

Link

This one goes down well with both genders! :lol:
drsmurto

Postby Thirsty » Friday Aug 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Thanks drs. So to get a bit of sweetness would require some lactose or a dash of lemonade when serving, eh?
Thirsty Boy
Thirsty

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Yep, most of my mates add lemonade when they drink it, that was when i had a 7% abv batch. My current batch is a more sensible 5% abv and i like it dry so i dont add lactose or lemonade!
drsmurto

Re: Ginger Beer

Postby Tipsy » Friday Aug 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Thirsty wrote:No, the wife's not an alcoholic

Yeah, mines not either.
It would make it so much easier to buy my beer equipment if she was :D
Tipsy

Postby yardglass » Saturday Aug 18, 2007 8:41 am

Thirsty,

this ginger beer recipe went down well, easy to make also.

Cheers

Yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby corks » Sunday Aug 19, 2007 3:28 am

drsmurto wrote:a more sensible 5%

nonsense. the more dextrose the better...

i seem to recall a post on this forum, cant remember who by, but it was something about young fellas just starting out brewing making ridiculously high alchohol brews...i guess that would be me. dont brew we you're drunk. you add extra sugar and forget about it. whoops.

also dont post at 3.25 in the morning after a night on the dram. thats just silly.
corks

Postby drsmurto » Monday Aug 20, 2007 1:47 pm

slightly OT but IMO there arent a lot of beers that are truly balanced beyond 5%, particularly when made from kits. Thats not to say you cant make a balanced beer above 5%, stouts, porters, belgians etc exist but to my taste a lot are out of whack.

Some of the best beers i have tasted are real ales in england, bitters that are 3-4% abv. Real session beers that are balanced, not lacking in flavour.

I tend to make mine in the 4-5% range.

I am guilty of deliberately adding extra sugar (yes, normal everyday sugar) to try and make 6 and 7% brews. Rocket fuel that only a uni student would drink and thats what i did in my uni days. Now i go for taste, and making better beers rather than high alcohol shit that puts people off HB.

Maybe its just me but i would rather drink 10 pints of something lower in alcohol with all the taste than 5 pints of strong, unbalanced rocket fuel that will leave me with a headache. Maybe its growing old but i still like to get hammered but not in a few hours, over the course of the night.

Gets off his soapbox......
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .