Treacle Beer Recipe

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Treacle Beer Recipe

Postby wildschwein » Wednesday Sep 26, 2007 12:53 pm

I made this the other day and it came up well. It's a little bit like Dr Pepper or a root beer. Indeed, I got the idea from looking on the net for the ingredients that make up Dr Pepper and root beer and it includes ingredients that are reputedly used in both. Although, my one has it's own thing going on. This was for my standard soft drink size batch of 3.75L. You could replace the treacle with honey, molasses or golden syrup.

Started off with a boil with 1L of water, 100g of Treacle, 350g of raw sugar, 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid and a pinch of cream of tartare with some coursely crushed spices. The spices were 2 tablespoons of whole allspice berries, 1/3 teaspoon of fennel seeds, 2 cardomon pods, 1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns, 3-4 broken sections of star anise, 3 whole cloves, 2 pieces of dried orange peel, 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds and 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder. This was all simmered for 30 minutes then strained to remove the spices. Then I topped up to 3.75L with cold and added about 3 teaspoons of almond essence and 3-4 tablespoons of artificial vanilla essence. When cooled to about 25C I mixed in a 5g ale yeast sachet and then bottled in 3 clean 1.25L softdrink bottles. Left the bottle caps ajar overnight and then tightened in the morning. Within about 8 hours the bottles were hard and went into the fridge to cool before serving.

A very interesting drop; quite an old fashioned type flavour.
Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

My Blog: http://www.myspace.com/canaanperry
wildschwein

Postby shamus2 » Wednesday Oct 31, 2007 12:26 pm

sounds different... I might give something like that a go
shamus2

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .