Black rock irish cider

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Black rock irish cider

Postby bangers » Wednesday Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

:evil: O.K. Hi all I'm new to home brewing and enjoying every minute of it (especially the drinking part) I,ve brewed 6 types of beer using various malts and there recipies like coopers stout pale ale coopers irish ale ect. havent made a beer no-one likes we have enjoyed all so being a big fan of cider (bulmers is my favourite) I was checking out Black Rock cider kit I'm curious if any one has tried it and what was the result
bangers

Postby rwh » Wednesday Dec 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Yep. Here's my attempt:
1 blackrock cider kit
6L apple juice
2L pear juice
700g dextrose

Heated the juice, dextrose and kit to 100 degrees. Then added to some cold water in the fermenter, topped to 23L. Still way too hot so cooled overnight in sink of water with ice, and wrapped in wet teatowels. Pitched at 24 degrees.

Brewed on: 30/11/06
Bottled on: 23/12/06, 160g sucrose bulk primed

The result is a very dry cider. If I was going to do it again, I'd add about 500g of lactose to sweeten it.
w00t!
rwh

Postby blandy » Thursday Dec 06, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Bangers,

I've done a Black Rock kit on 2 occasions and was very happy with the results.

The first was a straight kit and kilo (of dextrose) made up to 18L (going to 21 or 23L makes it too watery). This turned out to be a brilliant dry cider, with flavours quite similar to Bulmers (which I like too :D ). Of course this could be sweetened a bit if you are that way inclined (maybe 250-500g of lactose)

The second had the kit, 250g lactose and 6 quinces (again made up to 18L). This was even better than the first. The quince flavour really comes out well.

If I was doing it again (which I will be soon), or was giving advice to someone:
- Use a bit of frozen fruit (for some reason people reckon the flavours come out better if the fruit has been frozen)
- Use the kit yeast, I've had no trouble with it.
- it takes a bit longer to carbonate than most beers (It won't be completely fizzy after 2 weeks, probably more like a month or two)
- make it up to 18L
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby drsmurto » Friday Dec 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Just racked my cider last weekend. 18L of berri apple juice, ginger/cloves/lemon/cinnamon. Wyeast 4766 cider.

Still a bit green but i only need to keg it for xmas eve when an irish chick arrives for xmas.

I collected the yeast out of primary and its damn near white. Zero trub helps! I aerated the bejesus out of each 2L juice bottle before dumping it into the fermenter so i have a HUGE amount of yeast now. Dont think i will need to buy this yeast again in a hurry!
drsmurto

Postby mikey » Friday Dec 07, 2007 9:57 pm

Personally, I think Black Rock is crud which I know goes way against the grain of what people say here. The two brews I made were the worst apple ciders I've made (irony is I'm drinking one right now as I need the bottles).
I've had much better success with the Brigalows which everyone hates but have no idea why.
mikey

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 10, 2007 10:49 am

I know a lot of ppl use the cider kits and was wondering why? How much cheaper are they, particularly if you are adding juice to them anyway.

I bought ~18L of berri apple juice (long life, preservative free) when it was on special recently. Cost me $28. (3 x 3L, 4 x 2.4L - $3.99 each)

Added some ginger, cloves, 2 lemons and a cinnamon stick, prob another few $. I did use a $16 liquid cider yeast but as i said, i have collected the yeast and will be able to make another 7 batches (assuming i dont collect yeast each time).

Not flaming anyone but i think this is actually quite simple and cost effective. The only real difference in the long run is no kit = no artificial sweeteners. So if you want a sweeter cider you would need to add something extra.

Just my 2 c for a monday morning.
Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 10:52 am

Hey Doc, the local Warehouse cheap shop sells Berri juice 3L for $2.99. I been thinking about doing an all juice cider myself sometime soon. Probably just add a tin of pear juice and a kilo of lactose.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am

Pear juice... making a perry?

I made a 5L batch of cider using the berri apple and pear juice hoping that the pear juice might leave a touch of sweetness but it didnt. Not a bad drop tho.

I dont find lactose all that sweet. But then i havent used 1kg in a batch before!

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:29 am

drsmurto wrote:Pear juice... making a perry?

I made a 5L batch of cider using the berri apple and pear juice hoping that the pear juice might leave a touch of sweetness but it didnt. Not a bad drop tho.

I dont find lactose all that sweet. But then i havent used 1kg in a batch before!

Cheers
DrSmurto

That would be for a 21L batch. The lactose would also give it a bit of a head which might be nice. I don't drink the stuff much myself it is more for the girls. Probably add a bit of cinnamon nutmeg and maybe some lemon as well. Not sure about ginger, I think that might be too strong of a flavour for a cider?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 10, 2007 12:14 pm

I used around 90g of ginger in 18L of cider so for once in my life i am trying to be subtle. Unlike my GB which has 1.25kg of ginger and is as subtle as a brick to the head.
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 12:49 pm

I may go with a very small addition of ginger in place of the optional lemon then. I won't be drinking it so no big deal if it doesn't turn out ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby earle » Monday Dec 10, 2007 1:26 pm

I think I'll give that a go Doc. The wife likes cider but I haven't been that impressed with the Black Rock myself.

I think Strongbow has pear in it which is probably why a lot of people, myself included, add pear but I think the lactose might be the key to reducing the dryness a little.

When i was last in Bowen I picked up a couple of Black Rock cider kits for $5 each (out of date) and did an experiment with one, a beer kit (can't remember which) and some juice, I might have even used both yeasts. Talk about the blind leading the blind. And when you drink the stuff you get blind too. Turned out about 9%. Wife doesn't like it but in terms of an apple beer it has room to improve with age.
earle

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .