how long to wait

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

how long to wait

Postby bangers » Monday Dec 10, 2007 4:23 am

I went to brew craft and picked up an irish cider kit and like most kits state what temp I should pitch the yeast at. was slightly under since I was trying for the first time using chilled boiled water,So my point is what is the longest time you can allow your brew to sit before you pitch the yeast?I placed my heat belt on fermenter to get it up to temp and a cup of hot water it took aprox 20 to 30 minutes any thoughts gents
bangers

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 8:26 am

"up to temp"? Read the majority of the posts on this forum and you will see why that is wrong. Most brewers struggle to get the temp of the wort lower! The yeast can be safely pitched at any temp between 18 and 26, the recommended temp is not necessary. I always try to pitch at the temp I plan to ferment at.

As for how long you can let a wort sit before pitching, that depends how well you sanatised the vessel. Some people that use the no-chill method say they can leave the wort for days with no worries... I would not recommend the average person wait more than a few hours if they can help it.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

thankyou

Postby bangers » Wednesday Dec 12, 2007 5:57 pm

thanks for the tip I thought I was on the right track,I usualy rely on what Ive learnt and read from others, this is my first atempt at cider and wont be my last, when I finish the renos I'm planning in putting in some apple trees for the purpose of making my own cider (big plans eh!) maybe a pear tree too tanks again .
bangers

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .