could i improve on this one

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

could i improve on this one

Postby bangers » Wednesday Jan 02, 2008 6:52 am

I've been reading everones opinions and ideas and thought I'd try this one out.
1kg Granny smith apples mashed(frozen)
1 punnet fresh strawberries mashed(frozen)
4ltrs apple and pear juice
1pkt brewcraft brew blend #15
1 can brigalow cider
I disolved the brew blend in hot water (not Boiling) mixed the can of brigalow in then added the apples and strawberries, topped up to 18ltrs with chilled boiled water picthed kit yeast and nutrient around 18 to 20 degrees fingers crossed I hope I'm on the right track.
P.S. I did a brewcraft Irish cider kit just before chrissy tried one still a bit flat but taste is pretty good need to wait a bit longer me thinks
bangers

Re: could i improve on this one

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm

In 18L I do not think the strawberry would even be noticeable, I would use at least 1 kilo. Where do you get frozen mashed apples? :?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby timmy » Saturday Jan 05, 2008 8:13 pm

I'd lose the cider kit and upgrade to a better one.

I did a similar brew using the Brigalow kit and it's awful.
timmy

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Jan 05, 2008 8:17 pm

I used a Brigalow kit for my last cider and it came out great. Though I did add quite a bit of other stuff...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby bangers » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 6:03 am

we've got a pretty big freezer so all I did was grate up a kilo of granny smiths placed them in a large container stuck in the freezer and left them there for a couple of days, or till I was ready to start brewing.I racked my cider the other day pretty cloudy,the fragrance comming off was great !when I tested it before I racked it the flavour was a very crisp apple(cant wait till 2nd fermintation is finished) I'm not too worried as this is my first attempt at making cider using fruit and juices,but it won't be the last either! I may just go for a full juice cider next time if you weigh up the cost it works out the same as buying a cider kit.I just thinking about using a grain bag to hold the fruit in and may be cut down on the cloudiness any ideas? I've read some folks use stockings .
bangers

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 10:09 am

Why not buy the preservative free apple juice off the shelf at the supermarket? On special you can get it for around $1/L. No worry about cloudiness, turns out clear as. Best HB cider i have tasted was simply this juice plus the wyeast 4766 cider yeast. How easy is that?

EDIT - did you wash the apples first? The skins contain wild yeasts that traditional cider makers rely on to make cider. I have in the past juiced apples and then added a campden tablet and let it sit overnight to kill off the wild yeasts
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 10:12 am

drsmurto wrote:Why not buy the preservative free apple juice off the shelf at the supermarket? On special you can get it for around $1/L. No worry about cloudiness, turns out clear as. Best HB cider i have tasted was simply this juice plus the wyeast 4766 cider yeast. How easy is that?

EDIT - did you wash the apples first? The skins contain wild yeasts that traditional cider makers rely on to make cider. I have in the past juiced apples and then added a campden tablet and let it sit overnight to kill off the wild yeasts

You really do need to make my cider Doc! It was a HUGE hit at Christmas, the girls were passing on the Champers and asking for more of my cider ;)

I will admit, I drank a couple glasses of it myself, not a bad drop at all!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 10:13 am

But isnt your cider beer flavoured with apples and strawberries....... :lol:

I think my partner would kill me if i raided our strawberry patch for beer/cider making! I am eyeing off the rest of the apricots and plums tho........... fruit beers here i come!
drsmurto

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 10:18 am

drsmurto wrote:But isnt your cider beer flavoured with apples and strawberries....... :lol:

I think my partner would kill me if i raided our strawberry patch for beer/cider making! I am eyeing off the rest of the apricots and plums tho........... fruit beers here i come!

You could call it lax-o-beer :o :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Thursday Jan 10, 2008 11:32 am

mmmm... prune beer.
KEG

Postby bangers » Friday Jan 11, 2008 4:48 am

Good idea! I brought juicetime apple and pear juice when I made this brew up,checked all over the lables to see if it was preservative free (it was) so I probably will go with that next time around. washed the apples,from what I've been reading there seems to be a general agreement that adding either frozen or fresh apples or just about any decent fruit to a mix is an improvement to the flavour ,my oldest boy and my self are the cider fans and we're not worried about cloudeness but I think we all strive to make a better hb as time goes by .And thats what makes my day a good chat, a good idea,drinking and enjoying that good idea! :D
bangers

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .