ginger ale / ginger beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

ginger ale / ginger beer

Postby racer » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 10:30 am

Is there any difference between the two types of ginger soft drink?
racer

Re: ginger ale / ginger beer

Postby earle » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 8:25 am

Probably the best way for you to get the answer to this is to get some of each and drink it so you experience the difference. I think ale is much dryer and less fruity than ginger beer. In terms of recipe I suppose ginger ale would have less sweetener (Lactose or artificial).
earle

Postby KEG » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 9:52 am

the store-bought dry ginger ale is not fermented as far as i know.. bit of a naming fallacy. just ginger flavour in coloured, sweetened carbonated water.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 9:59 am

Not sure what the difference was traditionally. Today the only difference I can tell is that Dry Ginger Ale is less sweet and all artificial where as Ginger Beer is all natural and quite sweet. Buy a bottle of Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale and a bottle of Bundaberg Ginger Beer and try them together, you will see what I mean.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby racer » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 11:51 am

Thanks guys, was more interested in the ingredients differences.
racer

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 10:31 am

yep, dry ginger ale hasnt even had ginger waved over the bottle, its all essences and carbonated sweet water. Nice with Canadian Club tho....

Bundy ginger beer is sickly sweet old fashioned ginger beer.

What i make is somthing inbetween. Fizzy, gingery, dry and alcoholic. Ticks all the boxes IMHO. Also goes well with Canadian Club! 8)
drsmurto

Postby Trizza » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 12:04 pm

drsmurto wrote:yep, dry ginger ale hasnt even had ginger waved over the bottle, its all essences and carbonated sweet water. Nice with Canadian Club tho....

Bundy ginger beer is sickly sweet old fashioned ginger beer.

What i make is somthing inbetween. Fizzy, gingery, dry and alcoholic. Ticks all the boxes IMHO. Also goes well with Canadian Club! 8)

drsmurto, you have to tell me your recipe for this.
I love the CC, and to have a homebrew to blend it with would be like heaven on earth.

Trizza
Got Malt?
Trizza

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Link

This is where i got the idea from. I think the recipe i ended up using in on page 2.

Its funny reading that old(ish) thread now knowing what i do now. I assumed 500g light crystal malt was LDME! I was a very dumb noob a year ago! Some might say nothing has changed!

Anyway, i have tried it using actual crystal malt but i actually prefer my ballsed up recipe. 2 kg raw sugar, 1kg ginger. added spices. What could be easier?
drsmurto

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .