future plans

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

future plans

Postby bangers » Friday Feb 15, 2008 4:30 am

As a new to brew kid I'm currently at brew number 12 .
1pkt coopers brew enhancer number 2.
1can of the ol brigalow apple cider.
3ltrs golden circle apple juice no presevatives no added sugar.
15ltrs chilled water.
1kg. red apples.
This time round I placed the shredded apples in a sterilized stocking then froze em(aparantly freezing helps destroy any bacteria and enchances the flavour it seemed to work well last time)
I know some poo poo brigalows yet my last brew using it and apple n pear juice turned out pretty good,in fact better than the black rock irish cider kit from brewcraft! as I love a good cider this is my big question I have just about finished all the projects around tge house and now its time for the back yard.I want to put some apple trees so as I get down a more lesuirely road and the apple trees will start to produce fruit I hope to have a press at the ready and produce my ciders straight from the tree!so what do we all agree to grow Granny smiths of course,but what red apples are the best to grow?
bangers

Re: future plans

Postby Chris » Friday Feb 15, 2008 8:54 am

Some apples are better for eating, some for juicing, and some for cooking.

And as for freezing you apples... That will rupture the cells and release more of the good stuff, but it won't do much for the bugs. In fact more microorganisms are present in your fridge and freezer than anywhere else in your house- the toilet included. Avoid the freezer if possible.

You are better off pasteurising the fruit on the stove. 70*C for 20-30mins does the trick.

And if you shred the apples, you again don't need to freeze, as the yeast should have no trouble getting in to attack whether you freeze or not.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Re: future plans

Postby James L » Friday Feb 15, 2008 9:31 am

Wow, you are thinking ahead...

It takes about 5-10 years before you'll see any decent apples on the trees.

My parents planted some at their place about 10 years ago, and they are only starting to come through... It depends on the climate, but they live near donnybrook which is the apple mecca of WA..

But i like the way you think.. self sufficiency... If i had the room, i'd grow my own apples. and lemons
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .