Brown sugar

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Re: Brown sugar

Postby SvenTheBererk » Saturday Mar 15, 2008 2:30 am

Hey all

Well after accidentaly freezing my cider i thought it was all a big waste of time...But...
I tasted a 600ml bottle tonight it had a very pleasing light fiz very...fine head..and nice golden colour.
The tast surprised me for what you all call a green brew....Tasted like slightly sour green apples with an after taste of honey.
My girlfreind said it tasted like strongbow and beer but not unpleasant.
Oh and it gave me a nice tipsy feeling on 600ml...lol

So do you think maybee freezing it by accident helped it a bit or made no real difference?
Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."
SvenTheBererk

Postby KEG » Saturday Mar 15, 2008 7:39 am

wouldn't be detrimental. there'd be enough surviving yeast to keep carbonating the drink in the bottle.

it may have helped to drop the yeast out of suspension, but on the other hand it might've popped a lot of the yeast cells, which might (i don't know - speculating here) make it taste a bit more yeasty. which might not be a bad thing in a cider.
KEG

Postby SvenTheBererk » Wednesday Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm

Hey again

Just tasted another small bottle today.....i think i used too much brown sugar for bulk primming
the bottle was a gusher..but once it settled it had a nice thick head...the sour taste is gone..still has a real alcohol bite..but is now quite sweet and taste wonderful at room temp...oh and the honey aftertaste is stronger..so apart from too much gas im really happy with it.
Do you guys think the gas will lesson over time?
Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."
SvenTheBererk

Postby KEG » Wednesday Mar 26, 2008 10:59 pm

if your bottles are glass are sealed properly, it won't lessen much at all. if they're PET, give it a year and they'll be down a bit.

that said, were they chilled properly? try chilling one right down before opening it.
KEG

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .