Ginger Beer

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger Beer

Postby SvenTheBererk » Sunday Mar 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Hey all

Now the cider is done im about to start GB recipe that Oliver posted http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2800#p2800

Ingredients
3 large pieces of ginger (about a kilo)
1 cinnamon stick
10 cloves
500g light crystal malt (I assume he means light malt)
1kg dextrose
Rehydrated wine yeast
Heres a pic of ingredients im going to use....dont know why i got the Ground ginger doubt ill use it.
All the mates want a bottle allready to put em to sleep before bed..?!..http://hippyval.gallery.netspace.net.au/album03
Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."
SvenTheBererk

Re: Ginger Beer

Postby Chris » Sunday Mar 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Light crystal malt and LDM are different. LCM won't have much fermentables- just sweetness and grain 'freshness.'

Is that what you meant in your recipe Oliver?
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby SvenTheBererk » Sunday Mar 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I might use this "Caramel 10 10 L"This malt adds a light honey-like sweetness and some body to the finished beer"
for the light crystal malt.
Quote from http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html
Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."
SvenTheBererk

Postby rwh » Monday Mar 17, 2008 9:27 am

OK, I remember researching this one pretty thoroughly at the time, but my adaptation of it got infected so I can't tell you how it turned out. However:

- the 500g light crystal malt would be something like JW Cara, which has an EBC of 40-60 (20-30°L). The function of this is to increase the malt-sweetness, as most ginger beers that don't have artificial sweeteners in them ferment out dry. It'll also boost the body a bit.

- That recipe will give you something around 4.5% alc/vol.
w00t!
rwh

Postby SvenTheBererk » Wednesday Apr 02, 2008 6:23 pm

I started The Ginger Beer today
Heres a pic of the Light Malt i used http://hippyval.gallery.netspace.net.au/album02/DSC00164
Also i ground the malt to a almost fine powder here http://hippyval.gallery.netspace.net.au/album02/DSC00165
Not sure what i was thinking at the time but i added 1kilo of coopers brew sugar also...but the malt should have been enough on its own?
SvenTheBererk

Postby Chris » Wednesday Apr 02, 2008 7:24 pm

Ummm...

Psychostick
Chris

Postby SvenTheBererk » Wednesday Apr 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Chris wrote:Ummm...

What :shock: ????
SvenTheBererk

Postby Chris » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am

Firstly, I used to advocate a bit of LDM in a ginger. Then I went a little overboard, and did an all-malt GB. That was the worst GB I've ever made. It's actually going on the lawn today coincidently.

The major concern though is the ground crystal...

Why did you turn it into flour? Was there a reason? What did you do with it next?

Psychostick
Chris

Postby rwh » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 9:13 am

SvenTheBererk wrote:I started The Ginger Beer today
Heres a pic of the Light Malt i used http://hippyval.gallery.netspace.net.au/album02/DSC00164
Also i ground the malt to a almost fine powder here http://hippyval.gallery.netspace.net.au/album02/DSC00165
Not sure what i was thinking at the time but i added 1kilo of coopers brew sugar also...but the malt should have been enough on its own?

Oooookaaaayyy....

So what is that grain? Light malt or light crystal malt? What did you do with it after you ground it into four? Was the 1 kilo of brewing sugar a replacement for the 1kg dextrose in the original recipe? Actually, just post the recipe and method that you used! :?
w00t!
rwh

Postby SvenTheBererk » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am

I picked up the Crystal Malt from a brew shop in Narre Warren amongst other supplies..when i asked for light crystal malt...he asked what for?
I said Ginger Beer...He gave me the 500gram bag of Grain, said grind it into a powder then add to the wort...i didnt think the yeast would have a very easy time consumming this so i added the sugar....now i feel like an idiot...the starting SG was 1.030
SvenTheBererk

Postby rwh » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 9:52 am

Er, ok... so when did you add the crystal to the wort? Was it boiling, or did you just tip it in the fermenter? The sugar will be fine, I wouldn't sweat that, but if you added the grain without going via some kind of boil or hot water, you'll most likely have a sour infected batch because the grain harbour a whole lot of bacteria. If, on the other hand, you heated the grain somehow, I reckon your batch might just turn out OK.

BTW, you're right, the yeast won't consume the grain. It's the caramelised sugars from the grain that will remain in the GB after fermentation is complete to provide some sweetness. For the future, the correct technique is the crack the grain, leaving as much of the husk intact as possible while breaking up the kernel into several chunks, then (for specialty grains) you put them into grain sock and steep this, rather like a teabag, in a few litres of 80 degree water for 20 minutes. Then you remove the grain, pour a bit more hot water through the bag, and disgard the grain. Then you bring it to the boil, add your other ingredients, and proceed as normal from there. Any good brewing book will have more detail on this. Try http://www.howtobrew.com as a starter.
w00t!
rwh

Postby SvenTheBererk » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 10:18 am

Ok i think the guys at Narre Warren assumed i was a lot more experienced than i actually am...They never mentioned boiling the grain just said powder it and add it....and thats what i did...i boiled everything other than the grain i assumed it was heat treated or something coming from a shop sealed in an airtight bag.
I have electric blanket set on about 28c and its only just started to bubble today as im sitting in front of the comp watching the brew out of the corner of my eye.
Would it be worth adding a campden tablet to it before it gets too advanced into the brew to kill any bacteria that might have been in the grain and then repitch yeast later?
SvenTheBererk

Postby rwh » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 10:29 am

Nah, I reckon it's a bit late now. Just let it ferment and see what you get. You might be lucky.
w00t!
rwh

Postby SvenTheBererk » Thursday Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks for the info by the way i don't feel as stupid now :oops:
Im learning.
SvenTheBererk

Postby SvenTheBererk » Friday Apr 04, 2008 12:01 am

SvenTheBererk

Postby rwh » Friday Apr 04, 2008 9:01 am

:lol: nice :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby Chris » Friday Apr 04, 2008 3:05 pm

And Sven, NEVER powder grain. There is never a time that you'll need to do that.

Psychostick
Chris

Postby SvenTheBererk » Friday Apr 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes i think i will be having a word to the guys at Narre Warren about that but u live an learn.
Its bubbling like crazy now and smells very gingery but theres also a very grainy smell...but not unpleasant....no bad smells yet(i.e. infection smells)
so i might be lucky yet...i hope.
SvenTheBererk

Postby Tipsy » Friday Apr 04, 2008 7:52 pm

SvenTheBererk wrote:Yes i think i will be having a word to the guys at Narre Warren about that but u live an learn.

I was a regular customer of that particular shop.
I really don't like bagging anyone on a public forum so ..............
Tipsy

Postby SvenTheBererk » Friday Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm

I dont think i was bagging them......like i said i think they simply assumed i was more experienced than i am....maybe i should have asked more questions....dont get me wrong they were very helpful and polite..good prices too.
SvenTheBererk

Next

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .