Lemonade

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Lemonade

Postby warra48 » Friday Sep 24, 2010 2:42 pm

The only fruit trees I have are an orange, mandarin, and a lime/lemon. The last one I don't really know what it is, but I lean towards lime. However, different "experts" seem to have different views when they see the tree. To me it tastes like lime, so that's what it is. Don't see citrus fruit being of any use in brewing etc. :(
warra48

Lemonade

Postby earle » Friday Sep 24, 2010 3:27 pm

warra48 wrote:Nice one, Wrighty. :D
Don't see citrus fruit being of any use in brewing etc. :(

Perhaps you could use the citrus to infuse some white spirits like rum or vodka if your'e that way inclined. Hopefully its ok to post the following as it relates to a commercial legal distillary, not illegal home distilling. On Mt Tamborine (south of Brisbane) there is a small commercial craft distillary which produces european style spirits like schnapps, the unsweetened type rather than the sweetened type which is more common here. When I visited there a few years ago he showed us through and he uses fruits etc from his property in primary fermenation. I should have asked but assume that when he distills he either collects the volatile citrus oils as a seperate fraction and adds it back or the oils come out in the ethanol fraction. Purchased a bottle of very nice lemon myrtle liquer which my wife promptly names lemon turps because of its strength.
earle

Re: Mullberrys

Postby wrighty » Friday Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Remember that alchoholic lemonade Two Dogs more than 10 years ago now was a bit of a tart lemon
drop but very sweet .The girls use to love it ,dont know how to make it though.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm

warra48 wrote:lime/lemon. The last one I don't really know what it is, but I lean towards lime. However, different "experts" seem to have different views when they see the tree.

Key Lime or Citron?
Bum

Postby Planner » Friday Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm

wrighty wrote:Remember that alchoholic lemonade Two Dogs more than 10 years ago now was a bit of a tart lemon

Was much maligned Wrighty, but quite good as a mouthwash at the end of the night, or a quencher on a hot day.
Often thought of brewing a hard lemonade, but beers keep elbowing their way to the front of the queue, so it hasn't yet happened.
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 24, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm yet to read a good report from a brewer that has tried to make alcoholic lemonade. I'd just make normal lemonade and bang vodka in it. You know that'll taste alright.
Bum

Postby bullfrog » Friday Sep 24, 2010 5:18 pm

wrighty wrote:Remember that alchoholic lemonade Two Dogs more than 10 years ago now was a bit of a tart lemon

Get yourself 3kg of lemons and (from memory) 3-4kg of dextrose.

Peel the zest off the lemons, being sure to avoid the pith (white fleshy stuff under the skin) and juice the whole lot. Throw the juice and zest into your kettle, cover with water and boil for at least 15 minutes.

Cool to pitching temp, top up with water to desired level and throw in a packet of US-05 and some yeast nutrient. Don't forget the yeast nutrient. FG should come out under 1.000. If it's too tart for yourself or your missus, then you can back-sweeten at bottling/kegging with some lactose.
bullfrog

Postby warra48 » Friday Sep 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Won't matter to mrs warra, she's virtually a teetotalller type drinker.
She has nothing against alcohol, just that it seems to react with her like an allergic thing. Her limit is about half a small glass of wine.
Might give the alco lemonade thing a go at the appropriate junction. :D :lol:
warra48

Re: Lemonade

Postby speedie » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 9:51 pm

radler anyone
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Oct 03, 2010 11:53 pm

speedie wrote:radler anyone

Nobody was asking for a recipe for a shandy.
bullfrog

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Aug 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Bum wrote:I'm yet to read a good report from a brewer that has tried to make alcoholic lemonade. I'd just make normal lemonade and bang vodka in it. You know that'll taste alright.

Just kegged a lemonade. 3kg dex, 500g lactose, zest and juice from 3kg of lemons - cover all that in water and bring to the boil. Cool it down, throw it and some yeast nutrient into your fermenter and pitch your yeast (can't remember what yeast I used but it was probably US05 as it's neutral and won't attenuate too much.)

Tasting bloody lovely! Nice and refreshing and I've been given the thumbs up from 'er indoors.

Hate to prove Bum wrong but he's not around here anymore so I suppose it's of no consequence :P
bullfrog

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday May 21, 2012 6:55 pm

bullfrog wrote:
Bum wrote:I'm yet to read a good report from a brewer that has tried to make alcoholic lemonade. I'd just make normal lemonade and bang vodka in it. You know that'll taste alright.

Just kegged a lemonade. 3kg dex, 500g lactose, zest and juice from 3kg of lemons - cover all that in water and bring to the boil. Cool it down, throw it and some yeast nutrient into your fermenter and pitch your yeast (can't remember what yeast I used but it was probably US05 as it's neutral and won't attenuate too much.)

what temp would this need to stay and how much water would i use and do i add any when i put in fermenter lol so basically i would like to know your method if ur keen to share :D
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Lemonade

Postby bullfrog » Monday May 21, 2012 7:28 pm

BrewersApprentice wrote:
bullfrog wrote:

what temp would this need to stay and how much water would i use and do i add any when i put in fermenter lol so basically i would like to know your method if ur keen to share :D

Always keen to share!

In the boil, you only need enough water to dissolve the sugars and cover the lemon zest. When you add it to the fermenter, top it up to between 20 and 23L.

This is quite bitter and I'd probably use 1-1.5kg of lactose if making again. Also, make sure to only use the zest (yellow bit) and avoid all the pith (white bit) of the skin, as the pith will make it all the more bitter.

US-05 as a yeast strain is really neutral if you can keep it at or below 18 degrees Celsius, so that'd be optimum.

You'll find that this will ferment fairly slowly as there isn't a lot of nutrients in the lemon or dextrose to keep the yeasties healthy. Decent aeration before pitching and yeast nutrient should help with this, but expect to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, at least.
bullfrog

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday May 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Just kegged a lemonade. 3kg dex, 500g lactose, zest and juice from 3kg of lemons - cover all that in water and bring to the boil.
In the boil, you only need enough water to dissolve the sugars and cover the lemon zest. When you add it to the fermenter, top it up to between 20 and 23L.

This is quite bitter and I'd probably use 1-1.5kg of lactose if making again. Also, make sure to only use the zest (yellow bit) and avoid all the pith (white bit) of the skin, as the pith will make it all the more bitter.

US-05 as a yeast strain is really neutral if you can keep it at or below 18 degrees Celsius, so that'd be optimum.

You'll find that this will ferment fairly slowly as there isn't a lot of nutrients in the lemon or dextrose to keep the yeasties healthy. Decent aeration before pitching and yeast nutrient should help with this, but expect to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, at least.

Excellent ill put it down when i have plenty of beer then lol thanks heaps im lookin to experiment with a few different things so if you have any similar recipies you can think to recommend please let me know but as my username states i am an apprentice lol
BrewersApprentice

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday May 21, 2012 8:29 pm

bullfrog wrote: but expect to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, at least.

and im assuming by the ferment time theres a fair wait in bottle conditioning too?
BrewersApprentice

Lemonade

Postby bullfrog » Monday May 21, 2012 10:34 pm

BrewersApprentice wrote:
bullfrog wrote: but expect to leave it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, at least.

and im assuming by the ferment time theres a fair wait in bottle conditioning too?

Right on the money.

I keg, though, so all my brews are carbonated and ready to drink within about half an hour. :P

Also, as for your earlier comment about wanting to try other things, if you like cider then it's about the easiest thing you can make. Grab yourself 20L of apple juice (Aldi is a good source; preservative free so it won't kill the yeast and it's about as cheap as water,) then pour it all into a fermenter with some yeast nutrient and throw your yeast on top. There's other threads around with more cider recipes but that's about the simplest way to do it.
bullfrog

Postby BrewersApprentice » Tuesday May 22, 2012 6:22 am

cool thanks heaps
BrewersApprentice

Postby BrewersApprentice » Sunday Jul 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey Bullfrog, I just put down the lemonade using 1kg of Lactose instead of 500g my Og was 1.064 what was your FG so I have a rough estimate please
BrewersApprentice

Lemonade

Postby bullfrog » Monday Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm

From memory mine fell below 1.010 but yours will finish higher due to the extra lactose. I'd imagine you'll be close to done when it drops below 1.015.

At a glance, that looks like a head-banger, but you may find that you'll want to back-sweeten it before consumption. I don't find mine needs it (after the second sip, the first sucks your face in just a little) but I've made up a sugar syrup for some of my mates that expect it to taste similar to Solo. I've found that dissolving 15 teaspoons of sugar in 200mL boiling water is a good amount, then just add a shot glass of the syrup to each glass. Almost a dead ringer for any pub squash you could buy at the supermarket, only at ~5% abv. Needless to say, I've had a few mates get pretty legless on the stuff :P
bullfrog

Postby BrewersApprentice » Monday Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Ok cool ill keep that in mind :)
BrewersApprentice

Next

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .