My first stout

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: My first stout

Postby Bum » Friday Aug 20, 2010 12:45 am

I can't speak for you but I brew my own because the breweries you're speaking for make beer that tastes HORRENDOUS.

I would never. EVER. Attempt to replicate it or their methods.
Bum

Postby speedie » Friday Aug 20, 2010 12:51 am

bum when was the last time you ventuered out side of your brew capboard
i dont know where you live but concider this if it was nt for homebrewers where would the real (micros) be going today
the last stout that you consumed was where ! bottleshop mates backyard micro?
now i am confussed
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Aug 20, 2010 6:27 am

Not as confused as the rest of us - we have to read your posts.

But in answer to your question (I think?) - the last good stouts I drank were made by Renaissance, Rogue and North Coast Brewing. I hope this aids you in your quest to subjugate the board.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 20, 2010 10:42 am

Ah speedie, I really don't know where to start.

You talk about commercial brewing and use that as an example but you seem to have missed one crucial point and that is spelt out in the name of this forum. We are amateurs, homebrewers not professional (with a few exceptions)

We use brewing programs to calculate our efficiencies (beersmith, promash etc) and so when we communicate with each other we understand what we are saying and can adjust other peoples recipes to fit out own systems. I know of at least one micro that also uses promash for their recipes and i suspect its probably not alone.

As for the extract efficiency, that changes with the malt. Some american 6-row is quoted at 76% yield while others such as JW trad ale is quoted as 82% yield. You need to take this into account in any calculation. You stated that crystal and dark malts cant be taken into account but they still contain sugars, just in a different form. They still add to the sugar content of the wort.

I'm really not sure where you get your calculations from or if its based on the fact you have been brewing for 30 years and don't believe there has been any advances in brewing science in that time. Regardless, healthy debate is welcome, incoherent ramblings are not. Your atrocious grammar aside, if you spend the time laying out your points in a logical, easy to read manner then we can continue this debate. I love brewing science and spend some of my spare time 'studying' it so i am happy to discuss it.

Have a look at http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com - it's the biggest homebrewing community in Australia so you are bound to find more people with your level of brewing experience willing to discuss this further.
drsmurto

Postby bullfrog » Friday Aug 20, 2010 10:54 am

He's also bound to find a lot more people that can read his grammar-less dialect without incurring a migraine. The folks there also seem a lot more accepting of people who believe that the way that they brew beer is the only way and that anybody who disagrees needs to be berated and lectured ad nauseam.
bullfrog

Postby matr » Friday Aug 20, 2010 11:04 am

drsmurto wrote:Have a look at http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com - it's the biggest homebrewing community in Australia so you are bound to find more people with your level of brewing experience willing to discuss this further.

Now you're in trouble with bum..... :lol: :lol:
matr

Postby Bum » Friday Aug 20, 2010 1:55 pm

No. It is more like Bum will be in trouble with the mods at AHB.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Bum wrote:No. It is more like Bum will be in trouble with the mods at AHB.

Exactly, you have been admirably restrained on this forum.
drsmurto

Postby Bum » Friday Aug 20, 2010 2:51 pm

This last week has been hard.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Friday Aug 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Bum wrote:This last week has been hard.

:lol:

That is has and i think i have been remarkedly restrained too given the grammar on display and my resident pedant status.....
drsmurto

Postby hirns » Friday Aug 20, 2010 8:45 pm

forum
drsmurto wrote:Bum wrote:
This last week has been hard.
I do like the distinctive

I think we all have had ! A congrats to all... the blood from biting my tongue must be nigh to the river of flow from those that have worked longer and harder to make this a unique, personalised forum.

Keep up the excellent work!

Cheers :D

Hirns
hirns

Postby speedie » Saturday Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

as you indicated healthy debate
warra check some of my later posts see if they make sense ?
speedie

Postby bilgerat » Tuesday Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm

My next brew will be an all grain oatmeal stout,the recipe promises to be a copy of Samuel Smiths lovely drop.
I would like some more info on what some of you blokes are doing regards bottling some of your brew from the keg, sounds good to me, I assume once the kegs been carbonated the bottles dont need any sugar ??
Im heading off in the camper trailer soon and would love to take a few long necks of stout away with me to enjoy around a camp fire at night.

bilgerat
bilgerat

Postby earle » Wednesday Jun 22, 2011 8:47 am

Hey Bilgerat, make sure you past some camping photos accross in this thread http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10170&hilit=camping . Quite a few of us enjoy the camping (and associated beer) around here. :D
earle

Previous

Return to Grain brewing