yeast culture

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

yeast culture

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:30 am

Has any off you people tried to culture up the yeast slurry from any of the rouge products
I believe that it is a style named pacman
Don’t know much of its history but from reading it sounds like it is a very alcohol tolerant strain with low flavor profile and a good flocculate

I have had success with cropping yeast from coppers and orval beers before
But have not tried to reculture anything for at least 10 years now
speedie
:?:
speedie

Re: yeast culture

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:33 am

Pacman was available commercially through Wyeast a few months ago. Maybe if you haven't alienated too many people someone might be willing to sling you a split or something?

I wouldn't bother trying to reculture from a Rogue bottle, personally. It is the primary strain but it always looks very vegemitey in the bottom of the bottles we get here. I'd be very dubious about its health.
Bum

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:42 am

read somewhere that they recovered bottles of ale from the english channel that had been down there for many years and Successfully cultured the yeast
beer we are all in it together even us bum
speedie

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am

Yeast that had been in such a cold environment like the bottom of the English Channel would hardly be the same as yeast that has been in unknown conditions and temperatures when in transit across the Pacific. I happen to think that no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that I've ever had in Australia is anything as good as those I've had in the States so I'm leaning towards believing that transit conditions between the US and Aus is hardly ideal for beer.
bullfrog

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:49 am

Your posts are pretty ludicrous, speedie. You know that right?

You think they cultured up the yeast from that bottle the same way you will from a bottle of Rogue? And that both bottles have faced the same environments? What a ridiculous suggestion.

And what is the point of telling me that we're "in this together" when I've just tried to help you? Bit of a slight, innit?

Just try it. See what happens.
Bum

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

bullfrog wrote:I happen to think that no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that I've ever had in Australia is anything as good as those I've had in the States so I'm leaning towards believing that transit conditions between the US and Aus is hardly ideal for beer.

I agree with the above but will temper it with the suggestion that tasty beers can be had from the US so it isn't an automatic beer spoiler - pretty far from ideal though.
Bum

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Do you think that the taste difference is from yeast spoilage (autolysis) or could it be from poor handling of the product i.e. no refrigeration etc?

I agree that fresh is best in certain styles but what of those barley wines or strong ales that have been around for some time they seem to improve with conditioning on the yeast!

So don’t be naive to what I have stated re old yeast restoration
At the best of times it is still a single celled critter that spores and if one cell is in good condition then it will spore again

When I say we are all in this together there is no malice from my side
What I say is beer is a bonding thing there is nothing better that an ale and a tale with friends
I may try the pacman yeast strain but am generally happy with the results of the yeast that I am using at present
Cheers Speedie

:|
speedie

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 8:12 pm

speedie wrote:Do you think that the taste difference is from yeast spoilage (autolysis) or could it be from poor handling of the product i.e. no refrigeration etc?

Most certainly a large part of the issue is that they are shipped in harsh conditions. While I have never tasted any of the vegemitey flavours usually attributed to autolysis I am certain temps in shipping containers are high enough to get into the areas usually quoted as being bad for yeast health. I will also put forward that only in imported beers do I see particularly dark, thin and ultra compact sediments (as mentioned above in the reason I think a Rogue bottle isn't a prime candidate for reculturing). Another reason beers from the US can often not taste so good is simply time - the American styles relying on big, late hopping simply need to be drunk rather young. Not like a wheaty but certainly aging usually isn't appropriate.

speedie wrote:I agree that fresh is best in certain styles but what of those barley wines or strong ales that have been around for some time they seem to improve with conditioning on the yeast!

If held in the right conditions - which a steaming hot shipping container probably isn't.

speedie wrote:At the best of times it is still a single celled critter that spores and if one cell is in good condition then it will spore again

In a frigging starter? I'd be almost as impressed to hear that you had the equipment required to do this properly as I was when I saw your cool room.
Bum

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm using pacman at the moment and just about to go to second gen from my original 5 way spilt starter. I've found using it in a Dr Smurto's golden ale makes it shine even more and it clears a lot better than 1056/05. Great yeast and highly recommend.
chadjaja

Postby speedie » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm

nothing like a microscope and wire ring?
speedie

Postby Bum » Tuesday Aug 31, 2010 8:48 pm

speedie wrote:nothing like a microscope and wire ring?

Must be a pretty fine inoculation loop to pick out a single yeast cell. Here I was thinking they were used for harvesting colonies.

Way to ignore all the points I made that are actually relevant though. You've still got that streak going!
Bum

Postby speedie » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 10:41 am

what is Linders hanging drop method and or micromanipulation?
speedie

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 11:42 am

chadjaja wrote:I'm using pacman at the moment and just about to go to second gen from my original 5 way spilt starter. I've found using it in a Dr Smurto's golden ale makes it shine even more and it clears a lot better than 1056/05. Great yeast and highly recommend.

Have just done a side by side in my golden ale - Pacman vs US05.

Pacman clears a lot better and yes, the hops seem to shine but the malt also picked up.

Definitely going to keep this culture alive for as long as i can. Luckily there are plenty of local brewers who are into slanting so i have been able to get my hands on cultures without having to fork over money for smack packs.

Whilst i always have a few packets of dry yeast in the fridge in case a starter fails or for a spur of the moment brewday but by and large liquid yeasts are superior. They are the difference between a good beer and a great beer. My opinion only.
drsmurto

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 11:47 am

So where would I get some Pacman, just any LHBS ?
SuperBroo

Postby Bum » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 11:51 am

You might have to call around - it was a limited production run.

DrSmurto, I've noticed a couple people mention diacetyl being a minor problem with this yeast. Care to comment?
Bum

Postby SuperBroo » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 11:56 am

cheers Bum,

James - You have access to this yeast ?
SuperBroo

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 12:04 pm

It's no longer available to buy so you will need to find someone local to grab a slant or small sample. I managed to get a small slurry from a fellow brewer, lots of yeast swapping goes on amongst the Adelaide brewing brethren.

I couldn't taste diacetyl in the sample(s) pre and post filtration.

It was very quick to ferment but i still left it in primary for 13 days. If you rack too early then you might have issues. I also ramped the temp up to 20C once fermentation appeared to be over.
drsmurto

Postby speedie » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 3:00 pm

Dr have you blind taste tested the yeast on others from the same wort base
It is as you know really difficult to ascertain which is which
Provided all aspects of brewing are the same i.e. which is dehydrated as opposed to liquid culture
As stated it is preference
Speedie
speedie

Postby matr » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Why is this in the Grain Brewing area?

Speedie do you assume kit & extract brewers take no interest in reculturing yeast?
matr

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm

speedie wrote:Dr have you blind taste tested the yeast on others from the same wort base
It is as you know really difficult to ascertain which is which
Provided all aspects of brewing are the same i.e. which is dehydrated as opposed to liquid culture
As stated it is preference
Speedie

The current test was a double batch so everything is identical except the yeasts.
drsmurto

Next

Return to Grain brewing