yeast culture

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: yeast culture

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 8:28 am

Removed.
speedie

Postby warra48 » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 3:23 pm

speedie wrote:sounds like the brew slgging tag team to me
please dont remove

Please explain ???

A comment from my last post:
If the man learnt to express himself (even given his dyslexia), and type as DrS mentioned, I think he might have some useful information to pass on from his alleged many years of brewing mega batches.

Doesn't sound like slagging to me, more a frustration with your method of expression, which in all honesty, and with due respect, comes across as a "know it all" attitude.

I still think you have lots to contribute, but expressing it in a friendly manner, and with some attention to your typing skills, would go a long long way to overcoming any perceived slights on your character.
warra48

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Save it, Warra. If the mods didn't think that his "slagging team" comment was worthy of remaining untouched by the delete hammer, then they wouldn't have deleted it the first time.
bullfrog

Postby gregb » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 8:40 pm

warra48 wrote:
Please explain ???

A comment from my last post:
If the man learnt to express himself (even given his dyslexia), and type as DrS mentioned, I think he might have some useful information to pass on from his alleged many years of brewing mega batches.

Doesn't sound like slagging to me, more a frustration with your method of expression, which in all honesty, and with due respect, comes across as a "know it all" attitude.

I still think you have lots to contribute, but expressing it in a friendly manner, and with some attention to your typing skills, would go a long long way to overcoming any perceived slights on your character.

Pretty much nail on head.
gregb

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Ok first of all
There is obvious dissention towards my posts which is evident in all the replies that I receive
Not one, repeat one, has explained in any sort of English or scientific definition what you are talking about

Let’s talk about yeast culturing, picture the smack pack as your fermenter there is a finite amount of sugar in it

You crack the pack which includes sterile wort (maltose what ever) which has oxygen and yeast nutrient, (sorry forgot the put in the comma now I have)
The yeast starts to multiply spore bud what ever
When the available oxygen is consumed do you (presume) to think that it says to itself now I must stop reproducing and start on fermenting this worty stuff I have been put in?
And all of the rest of you guys must stop spoering (budding)
Give me and all of the rest of the guys on this thread a break
Yeast is yeast it still keeps multiplying until the end anaerobic or not
Then when all available food has been consumed it starts to eat its self (autolysis)
If any of you genuine readers want to experiment with bottle cultures don’t be put off.
Cheers speedier
:twisted:
speedie

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:02 pm

speedie wrote:Let’s talk about yeast culturing, picture the smack pack as your fermenter there is a finite amount of sugar in it

There's actually stuff all sugar. Most of the Activator bubble thing is just yeast nutrient. Not much yeast growth occurs at all within the pack. Think of the swelling as being similar to dry yeast rehydrating. Wyeast smackpacks ship with over one billion viable yeast cells - when used fresh they are completely pitchable without even smacking if one should choose to do so (lag will increase though, obviously).

Taken from http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1#r17
4. Does the cell count increase when the package is activated?

The cell count does not increase significantly when the package is activated.. The smack-pack is not designed to dramatically increase the cell count, it simply “activates” the yeast metabolism.

Are you getting the impression you don't actually know as much as you think you do yet? All you know is what you do - that is certainly of worth but your ignorant attitude far outweighs what you might be able to contribute.

I hope your epic dummy-spit constitutes your farewell.
Bum

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Bum I sort of felt that you would put your hand up and protest about what I posted
Please explain why wyeast would go to all the effort to sub culture any strain of yeast
Put it in a smack pack then sell it to us silly home brewers if it doesn’t multiply when the pack is smacked!!!!!
Are you and warra and the dr the same entity?
Concussed speedie!
:twisted:
speedie

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:28 pm

No, we're all different people with different attitudes to our brewing - and yet we can seem to be civil to one another. I wonder what the issue is with us and you?

In answer to your question I'll ask you a question in return (yes, I know our mothers all told us this is rude) - why would they need to make the yeast multiply in the smackpack when by design the pack contains 6million yeast cell per ml when pitched in a 5gal wort (US source, link above if you're interested)?
Bum

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Removed, nonsensical.
speedie

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:35 pm

I don't know what language you are speaking.
Bum

Postby speedie » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Removed, also nonsensical.
speedie

Postby Bum » Thursday Sep 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Oh. I see. Good one.

And by 'good one' I mean 'wtf does that have to do with anything?'

But I'll take what I assume to be your question at face value. Had you read and understood my post (and Wyeast's supplied information) you'll see that making a starter from a smackpack isn't always necessary - it is designed to be pitchable as is.

drsmurto described good reasons one might want to make a starter from a smackpack earlier today if you'd like to see why people might. I think it is in billybushcook's similar-ish thread that can be found in the correct forum for such questions.
Bum

Postby speedie » Friday Sep 24, 2010 12:15 am

I will give you an open invitation to talk and drink with me if!!! You are ever in WA as I have also invited Warra, Grog, and the DOCTOR if he has a postal address
Those hills are challenging to the Australian postal service!

But feel welcome too have a brew with me if you dare!
There is wheat beer, stout, old ale, latest packman brew, lager, cider, wine, hay bring your own meat and even have a BBQ
Must sleep now

Goodnight beer bunions
Speedie
8)
speedie

Postby Bum » Friday Sep 24, 2010 12:16 am

I'd rather drink poison.

But thanks anyway.
Bum

Postby speedie » Friday Sep 24, 2010 12:18 am

now you have convinced me of your substance! (bummer)
speedie

Postby wrighty » Friday Sep 24, 2010 1:38 am

My 2c worth.
In the short time you have posted on this site you have managed to offside more people
than anybody else ive had the pleasure of meeting on this site.Maybe were all wrong but
i seriously doubt it.As for being from W.A. i pray you were not actually born here. :roll:
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby bullfrog » Friday Sep 24, 2010 3:32 pm

speedie wrote:Concussed speedie!

Perhaps this explains his incoherency. He's been suffering from a massive concussion for the past month-and-a-half.
bullfrog

Postby speedie » Saturday Sep 25, 2010 9:33 pm

thanks for your positive comments boys
as wyeast indicate there is increase in cell count but not substantial
speedie

Postby speedie » Monday Sep 27, 2010 8:04 am

Update on pacman
Did a gravity reading yesterday and got 1022 down from 1075 18 degree fermentation temperature
There is still substantial co2 liberating from sample so I guess terminal reading should be around 1018 which will yield approx 7.6 A/V

The second running brew that was produced started at 1031 and has completed its fermentation cycle
It was put into the cool room on Friday and the yeast has cleared really well so it does appear to be a very flocculate strain

Will post tasting notes on completion of brew
:wink:
speedie

Postby speedie » Monday Oct 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Put that wicked ale in the cool room on Sunday for cold settling, final reading was 1019
Sample was copper in color but not bright at all ,there is a substantial amount of yeast to drop out of solution
Sampling revealed sweet to hoppy notes also there were was comments of apple which I didn’t pickup
There was definite higher ethanol alcohol notes which is to be expected from a strong ale
Maybe the pacman lives
Will transfer of yeast mid week
May use it again
Does any one need any
speedie

PreviousNext

Return to Grain brewing