Hops; another quick question

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Hops; another quick question

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jan 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I've got two hop plants (a Cascade and a Perle) but still not a flower in sight. The Cascade, which only has one bine, stopped growing some weeks ago, but the Perle is still growing rapidly and has probably 5 thin bines, now. I think that I managed to get my rhizomes into the ground a bit late in the season, which could, of course, have led to my current lack of flowers, but will this mean that I'll not get a first-year harvest?
bullfrog

Re: Hops; another quick question

Postby billybushcook » Thursday Jan 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Sounds like you are all over it,
When did they go in?
Late August is when I think I put mine in (just after the last savage frost) & I did get a small first year crop & massive growth, I think because the Ryzome had enough time to develope before putting it's energy into shooting bines.

I see youré in the Hawksbury region, you should get the same or similar growth & crop as I do here in the Hunter.

My PoR is ready for it's 2nd year harvest soon, (infact I have already been picking some) if you don't have solid flowers by now I'd say youvé missed the boat.

I'm becoming a little deflated with the success of mine, while it's growth & size of crop are massive, the quality is not there, they are no were near as pungent as store bought hops, I'm begining to realise that we may be just too far Nth to get good hops?????

I would be keen to swap a piece of ryzome in May if your interested, I might have more luck with Cascade & I'm planning on cutting the heck out of mine next year, the theory is that if I keep it to only 1/2 doz bines it might put more energy into it's flowers instead of just growing like mad.

Cheers, Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Postby bullfrog » Thursday Jan 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Mate, I'll be happy to give you a rhizome of each of mine in trade for one of yours. Doesn't cost me anything so I'm not worried about a one-for-one trade. I was hoping to do a home-grown SNPA-ish brew with my harvest but it's looking like it'll have to be next year.

From memory, the rhizomes were planted in late September, so really much too late in the season. Oh well, I've learned a few things along the way, regardless (like a better way to construct my trellis, etc) so I suppose that all is not lost.
bullfrog

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Jan 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Different varieties flower at different times.

My cascade and Victoria are almost ready to pick, the chinook and POR have flowers but are a month or more away. The goldings is only just started to flower now.
drsmurto

Postby billybushcook » Tuesday Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

bullfrog wrote:Mate, I'll be happy to give you a rhizome of each of mine in trade for one of yours. Doesn't cost me anything so I'm not worried about a one-for-one trade.

Still up for a swap Bullfrog?
or any one else in NSW?
Plenty to go around.

Cheers, Mick.
billybushcook

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Absolutely, Mick. I'll have to read up on how best to go about cutting the rhizome, first, but definitely keen for a trade.
bullfrog

Postby billybushcook » Wednesday Apr 06, 2011 7:30 am

I basically cut out any roots/Rhyzome that has spread to where I don't want it.
Of these, I look for the ones with stringy/hairy looking rootlets hanging off them & some fresh little green buds along it's main stem.
Pack this in some damp soil or Cotton wool, wrapped in plastic but not sealed.
Another way I kept some is in a chinese Take away container with damp soil. They will keep like this over winter in the fridge.
Then plant out in late winter...say August/September.

PM on the way

Mick.
billybushcook

Postby bullfrog » Wednesday Apr 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Should have read this thread before the other one :P
bullfrog

Return to Grain brewing