Burner stand height

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Burner stand height

Postby big dave » Friday Feb 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Another question for you fellas with some experience.

I have a 50 litre keg with the top cut out which I will use for my BIAB kettle, and I have bought a 3-ring burner to fire it up. The rounded bottom of the keg will not sit on the burner, so I will knock up a stand to sit it on. If I recall my year 10 chemistry class correctly, the bunsen burner flame is hottest at the blue flame tip. So the position above the flame might make some difference....? :?

What distance above the burner should I aim to have my kettle for best efficiency? What have you guys done with your set-ups?

Muchas gracias

BD
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Re: Burner stand height

Postby billybushcook » Saturday Feb 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Dave
I set my 2 ring burner at just a height that I could get it out from under the keg,
I found on my first AG boil, that I could not get a good hard boil going & I figured it was because I had a blanket of air trapped under the keg within the rim, so I opened up the holes around the base a little with an angle grinder to generate better air flow & Whella! heaps better!

Mick.
Home brew my Arse, get that Shit to forensics!
billybushcook

Return to Grain brewing