Cubing and hop schedual

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Cubing and hop schedual

Postby AidanMatthews » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 10:17 am

Hey guys,

To those that cube.

I intend on trying cubing first when starting all grain as i would like to save water and money at first.

My question is, when reading an all grain recipe i understand you have to make changes to the hop schedual otherwise you get a really bitter beer.

What is the general rule of thumb here...
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Re: Cubing and hop schedual

Postby matr » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am

I deduct 10mins from the addition.

So a 60min addition is added @ 50mins. I've been happy with the results.

Others will say different. I think it's personal preference as there is no hard of fast rule.

Cheers, Mat
matr

Postby AidanMatthews » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

Would you do the same for the 2nd addition so 20min is 10 min addition and the aroma is dry hopped into cube or fermentor?
AidanMatthews

Postby matr » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 11:24 am

Yeah pretty much. 10 min additions or below are put in at flameout. I havent cube hopped yet as i like to get it all in the kettle and keep it out of the fermenter.

Dry hop is dry hop so no difference there.
matr

Postby AidanMatthews » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks very much for that, just boughht these fantastic food grade plastic jerry cans from the big green shed.

They have 2 outlets and a bung for a tap.
They also have a black plastic pouring tube.

Tipping will be easy as one end you crack it for air the other for pouring.

The shape of it means i can get alot of air out when cubing, just needs a bit of an angle and squeeze.
AidanMatthews

Postby big dave » Wednesday Mar 23, 2011 11:51 am

I have not long started BIABing, and have cubed both brews done so far. Advice I had was much the same, but to knock 20 mins off all additions - bittering hops at 40 min, 20 min hops at flame-out, later additions to cube. So that is what I have done. Unfortunately, I can't accurately tell you what the outcome has been - first proper taste of brew #1 is slated for tonight - but both brews ave tasted fabbo out of the fermenter. (And I can't wait :D )

There are other guys who will tell you just to hop normally, and keep the boil down to more of a simmer to keep the volatile hop oils from boiling off.

The long and short - as it seems with most homebrewing questions - no definitive answer.... :?
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby SuperBroo » Monday Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

When theres as many variables as there is with brewing, then you throw in the No-Chill scenarios, I guess the only real proof is in what it tastes like / looks like, and all of that is still subject to personal preferences.

I put my first no chill into secondary a few days ago, and the taste test was seriously nice. (home grown hops as well).
So I did another exactly the same last night.

If this turns out as nice as it appears to be heading, I will be a no chill convert for ever just for the convenience of being able to reduce the time taken on brew day.

And doesnt the 40L electric Urn / BIAB / No Chill combination make for serously simple brewing.

Will report in the recipe section if it turns out nice.

Cheers to All,
Chris
SuperBroo

Return to Grain brewing