1st partial / grain recipe ?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

1st partial / grain recipe ?

Postby slayer71 » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

G'day I want to try and take the next step in brewing well for me anyway, I want to try an all grain recipe, probably for a Ale, maybe a nut brown.
Can anyone recommend me an easy step by step 1st grain receipe to try out ?

I should have said a partial grain recipe, not all grain ?
Do I need an esky also, or is this only for all grain ?

What else do I need, just a big boiling pot & a grain bag, not too sure ?

Thanks.
Last edited by slayer71 on Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
slayer71

Re: 1st grain recipe ?

Postby slayer71 » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Sorry should have posted this in the grain brewing column. / doh /
slayer71

Re: 1st partial / grain recipe ?

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Moved :-)

I made a quite nice dark ale as one of my first partial mashes. After two partials I was into AG!

The thread is here and this is the recipe:

English dark ale
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
500g Coopers BE1
500g Briess sparkling amber dried extract
300g Joe White ale malt (mini-mash)
100g Joe White chocolate malt (mini-mash)
10g Fuggles @ 60 minutes (5.6% AA)
10g Fuggles @ 20 minutes
10g Fuggles @ flamout
10g Fuggles (dry hop after four days)
S-04 yeast

Partial mash was at 66C for 1 hour in approximately 2.3 litres of water per kg. Sparge was the same quantity.

Hops were boiled in the liquid and other ingredients dissolved in a separate saucepan and added to the fermenter. Fermented quite cool - probably about 16C.

No SG taken.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby slayer71 » Friday Jan 13, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks for the help Oliver, but I actually got myself mixed up I meant to say I was going to do my first all extract brew.
I've found a recipe for a porter I might try, how does this sound, does the method sound ok to follow ???

James Squire Porter (Style Recipe Pack)
Type: Can Kit Recipe
Batch Size: 22 litres

Ingredients

1 x ESB 1.7kg Stout
1 x 1kg No25 Stout Booster
1 x ESB 1kg dark liquid malt extract
1 x 500g light dried malt extract
1 x 12g Goldings finishing hop
1 x 12g Fuggles finishing hops
1 x Chocolate Grain Enhancer 200g
1 x Safale S-04 yeast

Beer Profile

Estimated Original Gravity : 1.053 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimaled Alcohol by Volume: 5.11%
Bitterness: 29.9 IBU
Estimated Colour: 47.1 EBC

Method
Bring 2L of water to the boil, add the grain infusion and steep with the heat off for 20 minutes. Strain into your fermenter. Add ESB beer pack, all sugars and dry malts to above and stir vigorously to dissolve. Top up to 22 Litres with cold water, the wort should be cool enough to pitch yeast and add finishing hops. Brew at 18 to 24 degrees and age for approx. 6 weeks.
slayer71

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 13, 2012 8:18 am

OK, let's try again then :-)

Where did you get the recipe? Looking at the ingredients you've got there, you're going to end up with a strong stout getting into imperial stout territory, not a porter. There's far too much darkness and roasted flavours going on for it to be a porter, IMHO.

If I put those ingredients into BeerSmith I get an OG of 1062 and an estimated alcohol content of 6.6%.

If you want a porter like JS, I'd try something along these lines:

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale
1kg light dried malt extract
200g Chocolate Grain Enhancer
200g crystal grain
12g Goldings finishing hop
12g Fuggles finishing hops
1 x Safale S-04 yeast

That gives you an OG of 1049 and an estimated alcohol of 4.8%.

Goldings isn't something I'd use in a darker beer so I may up the Fuggles to 20g.

Is the "chocolate grain enhancer" a prepackaged thing from your homebrew store? If so, I'd find a homebrew store that will crush grain for you on the spot as it's likely to be much, much cheaper than buying these prepackaged "enhancers" and probably fresher. Likewise the finishing hops. Are these the "tea bags"? Instead, find a homebrew store that sells hops in vacuum packed foil that is kept in the fridge. It's going to be cheaper and will probably be fresher. Any you don't use just seal up well and keep in the freezer.

Two things about the method: add the grain to cold water and slowly bring to about 70C and leave for 20 minutes then strain. DO NOT boil. Also, try and ferment at 18C-20C for the best results.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby emnpaul » Friday Jan 13, 2012 8:58 am

I can't remember getting any hop flavour or aroma from JS Porter. You might want to omit the Fuggles and Goldings for the first try. If, after tasting the gravity samples, you want to add some hops you can always make a hop infusion and add it in during the ferment, or even wait for the next batch if you want to have another crack.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby slayer71 » Friday Jan 13, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for the help yet again, the recipe was through a brew shop and they supply all the items in a kit, I thought it looked ok but I'm more than happy to give your recipe ago.

Sorry alos wanted to ask do you recommend using finings or irish moss at all in your recipes ?
slayer71

Postby Oliver » Friday Jan 13, 2012 9:18 am

Actually, I agree with emnpaul about leaving out the hops, at least for the first go.

Don't bother with finings or irish moss at this stage of your brewing career. Both help make your beer clearer, and since you're brewing a darker beer clarity won't be such an issue.

Many brewers don't bother with them ever, in fact.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Grain brewing